My broody is pecking eggs open an kicking them out of nest

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by baldie, Oct 26, 2009.

1. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    Ny mama cochin, who has been broody for about a year is kicking eggs out of the nest. It looks like she pecks them open and then kicks them out. I went out to check on her this afternoon again and there was a cold pecked egg. I thought it was a goner for sure. But then I saw a little movement. I peeled the rest of the broken shell off it and put in the incubator. There was no movement for a while, but eventually it perked up and eventually was up and running around. I went to check on her again a little later and found another egg, same thing all pecked, but ready to hatch. This one did not make it. I took the rest of her eggs and stuck them in the incubator with some eggs that were already in there. Anyone know why this might be happening?? She has raised babies 4 times, this would be her 5th, so she is not new to mothering?? I was thinking she hears them cheeping and tries to rescue them??

2. neferset

neferset Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Is it getting cold already near you? If so, she might be trying to end this brooding cycle for the winter. I've never had a hen do that, but I wouldn't put it past one. They tend to know what they can handle.

If so, can you tell her to get a message to my little grey cuckoo OEGB and tell her to come home? She already brooded enough for the year.

3. baldie

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    Yes, its cold. But she had other eggs under her and she would push them under her and fix them all up when I moved her. I thought maybe they were gonna be boys and she overheard me saying no more roos. LOL. but for real, this stinks. I put the baby under her a few minutes ago along with the one that has been under her that hatched 2 days ago. I am so confused. [​IMG]

4. baldie

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    I am going down now to check on the little one I just put under her a couple of hours ago...wish me luck. [​IMG]

5. neferset

Aug 23, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    [​IMG]

Good luck!

6. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. baldie

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    The baby is still under her...so that is a plus. I hope she doesnt hurt it in the morning when she can actually see. There was only one baby under her and now there are 2. Plus I took her other eggs, so they couldnt have hatched under her...since the eggs are gone. All I can do now is cross my fingers and hope for the best. I hope she is okay with it....her lonely chick could use a growing up buddy I am sure.

8. neferset

Aug 23, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    How long ago did you take the eggs? Do you have some golf or ping pong balls you can slide under her? That might fool her into thinking that chick could have hatched from something. Maybe put the egg shell?

9. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

strange trouble, not a good momma, shouldn't use her anymore to hatch any babies.

10. baldie

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    Quote:This is her 5th hatch....makes me think its something else. She has never done this before. And I dont "use" her for hatching...she seems to always be broody and if she wants to sit on eggs then so be it. It must make her happy or she wouldnt do it. [​IMG]

On a better note, The baby I put under her last night is still alive and she was showing them both how to eat and so forth. So that makes me happy. Now she wont have one lonely baby to raise. [​IMG]
    I would still like to know if this has happened to anyone else. It is weird, but there must be a reason. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by