My broody is pooping in the nest!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by babsh, Apr 29, 2009.

1. babsh

babsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    Minnesota
    Why isn't she getting up to poop? It's day 20. It doesn't look like she's left the nest for 2 days and it reeks! I lifted her a bit and saw she is just going right there on the nest. Her butts in the corner so at least it's not on top of the eggs, but isn't this going to be a problem when the chicks hatch??

Why is she doing that and what should I do?

TIA

Barb

2. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    They usually don't leave the nest the last few days just like when we incubate we don't open the bator from day 18 on to hold temp and humididty. if the humidity is lost the chicks will stick to the shell and shrink wrap.

3. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    Mine never leave the nest. They are very dedicated mothers. I have to pick them up and put them on the ground to use the bathroom. I have to feed them in the nest so they will get some food. And this is the whole time they are broody.

4. babsh

Apr 30, 2008
    Minnesota
    Quote:I'm assuming they HAVE to defecate. So is it common practice for them to go in the nest itself? That seems problematic. Don't you end up with poopy chicks?

Barb

5. babsh

Apr 30, 2008
    Minnesota
    bumping this.

I'm worried the chicks are going to end up rolling around in mom's poo. Is it normal for her to do this? What should I do. Today is day 21. She's in a nest with a box over the top, so I cannot easily just reach in an clean it up. it's in the back corner and it's messy!

6. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    So, did any chicks hatch??!!

7. babsh

Apr 30, 2008
    Minnesota
    Quote:Yep! 5 bouncing bundles of fluff.

Yesterday, we brought the entire nestbox inside, lifted the top and did our best to clean out the poop. This involved picking up momma a couple of times, but she's very docile and it went fine. I'm glad I did it cuz it really was a mess. There were multiple poops in there. Fortunately her butts in the corner so I was able to get at it fairly well and the chicks were so brand new they hadn't gotten into it.

There are still 3 eggs, so I'll wait and see if they hatch out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by