My broody japanese quail just had babies!

OceanLyons

Hatching
8 Years
May 6, 2011
This is what I posted in response to another thread...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=266462&p=3

Hello everyone. I'm from Arizona and it was 100 degrees today. I came across this post and wanted to share my experiences.

My first batch of baby japanese quail hatched yesterday naturally (outside with mama and the crew in an aviary). As of now, I have four healthy babies. Yeah!
A total of three babies were found dead in the aviary (one in the nest, one two feet from the nest, and one five feet away from the nest near a water dish that was too tall for it to drink from).
The hen is currently sitting on 14 more eggs. She lives with three other hens and a male. I've had them for over a year.

Sometimes I collect the eggs on a daily basis for various lengths of time ranging from a couple of weeks to two month periods. The uncollected eggs would remain in the aviary until I started collecting again. The eggs are usually laid in nests that the quail create. When I first set up my aviary, I laid a 6 inch deep bed of sand for the floor. Over time, I added bags of tree trimmings and piles of stuff from my garden (sticks, old pea plants, broccoli, etc). They enjoy pecking on them and eating the bugs. A corner of the aviary has a three raised mound of mulch. The mound was created to be a refuge to keep the quail out of standing water during the monsoon season (heavy rains and wind). The walls of the aviary are wire. One side is one and half feet away from the side of my house. Two sides are covered by tarps, and there is a fairly solid roof.

Before I start collecting eggs to eat, I always smash the old eggs into my compost bins. Once, I noticed that there was some blood in one of the yolks. I was shocked because I did every expect to have baby quail with this species. A month or so ago, I stopped collecting eggs to see what would happen. Well.... I have babies!

I'm not sure if it just one hen sitting on the eggs or if they take turns. I've been too busy with work to take the time to figure it out. I'm keeping the babies inside and they seem to be doing well.

Pictures will follow soon...

I saw this post on a different thread too. I would say the dead ones were probably killed by the others, you'd be better off removing mom and babies from the pen.

May I buy one of your babies when they're wean-ready?!? I have been looking EVERYWHERE for Japanese quail and there is not a single bird Emporium around here (Tempe, AZ) that has them! Email me PLEEEEASE if you'd be interested. I really want to surprise my friend with a quail for her birthday which is coming right up
smile.png

Thankyouthankyouthankyou!!!!! I can't believe I didn't find that when I searched! I tried Craigslist first. I guess I don't know how to do it right
tongue.png
Anyway, I really appreciate it! Prices are FANTASTIC, too
smile.png

Quote:
Kinda like an incubator/hatcher and brooder setup?

Coturnix are not generally good parents! That's why God created incubators and brooders.

I still have a lot to learn....

I ended up with three very healthy babies.

For searching on craigslist, I used the search term "quail."

Quote:
Kinda like an incubator/hatcher and brooder setup?

Coturnix are not generally good parents! That's why God created incubators and brooders.

Personally I don't see how you can say that since you also say they never go broody. If you think they never go broody then how would you know if they are good parents? Seems they do go broody on occasion so I would think they could be good parents given the right set-up. After all, there are wild coturnix, surely they don't have someone artificially incubating and brooding their eggs.

Quote:
That's how it starts my friend! If you get at least 1 roo and 1 hen, then you save those eggs up for 5-10 days and you get 1-10 more and so on....Next thing you know, you will be buying eggs from 3rd parties and you will have a hatchoholic addiction
big_smile.png

I'm actually counting on it.

I started out with 6 birds. Now I have about 200. Good luck with your bird endeavors!

Back
Top Bottom