My broody kicked out eggs... Updated

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by emsevers, Dec 21, 2008.

1. emsevers

emsevers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    I went out there this morning to check on everything and noticed that my broody silkie kicked out 2 of her eggs that she was sitting on. So, can I take that to mean that these eggs are bad? If so does that mean that I could open them up and see what happened? They didn't smell bad or anything. Is there a chance that they are still good and she kicked them out for no reason? What should I do with these eggs?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Well, with the temps that you have they are most likely gone... but I would probably have marked them and put them back under her.

How many days has she had them under her?

You could candle and look for movement.... How many eggs does she have under her?

3. orcasislandchickens

orcasislandchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    I would assume the broody knows what she's doing. Do what you want with the eggs I guess. If you are curious you could look. You mght not see anything wrong but then again you might. In either case I would still consider her judgement to be good.

4. emsevers

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    She had 6 eggs under her to begin with so now she has 4. I'm pretty sure that if the eggs were outside the box for very long they are definitely gone because it's been in the 20's, maybe 10 degrees warmer in the coop but I still think to cold.

I didn't even think to stick them back under her I just figured she'd kick them out again. Would you ever consider putting them in the incubator. They were on day 15. I've never candled before and I'm not having the greatest luck at this point. I think I need a stronger light.

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I've had Broodys kick out the eggs, I just put them back under her and have had them hatch out.

6. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    during the summer my broody silkie kicked an egg or 2 out, I put them back under her and all of them hatched ( but, it was summer )

This winter she was sitting on a few eggs and kept kicking 1 out at a time, I put them back under but none hatched !!

If yours were out from under her for a while I would guess they would be no good anymore... I would candle just to make sure. They could be duds/non fertile, then you would have no need to put em back under her or incubate them !!

7. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I would bed her deeper. Pull her out, stuff some soft grass hay, straw, whatever you have that will hold a shape, and build a deeper hole for her to nest in. I try to get mine to look like a half a short watermelon shape, as deep as it is wide, and a little longer front to back. In the morning I check the front eggs under her breast and if they are a tad cool I shove those to the back where it is much warmer. I have a small silkie cross setting on eight good sized marans eggs right now and she has them well covered. Some other hens were de-constructing the front of her nest for a few days and a couple got half cool, but I built up her nest again, stuffed those eggs to the back, and finally evicted the worst offender. So far all is staying right with her nest.

8. emsevers

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    Quote:I'll try that. Do you think she kicked them out because they had gotten to cold?

9. emsevers

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    Quote:I think that I am more of this mind. She had to have some good reason to kick those eggs out because she's been so protective up until now.

10. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    I think somtimes they know, but I also think somtimes they just end up out of the nest and the hens dont want to get off the others to get that egg or cant get the egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by