My broody Quail did it, 4 babies hatched! - Update and New pics page 3

Discussion in 'Quail' started by ccoomber, Sep 18, 2010.

1. ccoomber

ccoomber Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2009
    Redhill, UK
    My broody Coturnix mamma did it! She's hatched 4 babies (1 egg not hatched). However something looks wrong with number 4, I haven't had a close look as don't want to disturb her too much! But one baby is almost completely bald ( i may be wrong but i think i saw pink eyes?) it has a few yellow downy bits but is mostly pink! Anyone have this happen before, is this baby unlikely to survive? The other 3 are fit and running around! The eggs came from my small mixed group of 1 wild colour female, 1 white female, the broody mamma (?golden) and a wild colour Male. Here are the pics:

Mamma:

[​IMG]

Babies:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    It is possible that it is albino. Albinos are often weaker than normal babies. I would Google Albino, and see what the odds are for survival. If I remember right albinoism can occur all animals.

3. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    I'm impressed. I thought Coturnix didn't breed naturally.

As for the pink one my guess is a genetic defect. I'd let nature take it's course. If momma stops brooding it you'll have to brood it yourself.

Interesting stuff.

4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I would take the odd ball odd immediately and brood him. That is nifty [​IMG] Sorry, geneticist speaking...

5. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    Congratulations. [​IMG]

And they look nice and warm and cuddly, I wouldn't worry on that end for the night temps.

The white one: Quaillady what's a good quess. Dilute Down, Silver or Albino? I quess we can cross English White out. No it could be an Albino English White. I am hoping for Silver, has the best chance of surviving past 3 days. There isn't much you can do about it however you try. I know the Silvers are breed in the Philipines. So it could be one. If so it will have black eyes when mature. As it feathers if you look very closely you will see ghost lines (silvering) in the feathers, if I remember right.

Enjoy your babies. Don't you just wish you had a wireless camera in there so you could watch them.

One thing I would do if you can. Give them some liquid baby vitamins without the Iron in their water. Here I use Enfamil's Poly-Vi-Sol - no Iron. Just a bit - .5 ml to a quart of water. [​IMG]

[​IMG] definately will want to know the progress on these little ones.

[​IMG] and [​IMG] for the little white one.

6. ccoomber

Aug 22, 2009
    Redhill, UK
    My friend has my brooder, so will try to get it back on monday (just incase) At the moment all is well and mum is doing a great job. I decided to have a closer look at my pink eyed friend to make sure she looked ok. So here are a few better pics! Definitely has pink eyes, its down look better and slightly more fluffed but not as well cover as its siblings! I already have baby vitamins in the water and a good quality Quail chick crumb on offer.

Sorry not a great pic but i did not want her out for long:
    [​IMG]

Pink eyes:
    [​IMG]

I love this site, so many people someone is bound to be able to help you! Thanks for suggestions guys! x [​IMG]

7. ccoomber

Aug 22, 2009
    Redhill, UK
    Just been thinking about what you've said about the pink eye thing. A friend of mine hatched a few eggs from my lot not long ago, and she said she had one that had pink eyes, but now no longer has pink eyes. I think it feathered out white, but have not seen it myself. So is it likely that this was a silver?

Quote:

8. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    Its possible, if it has black eyes it probably is. And your's could be the same, a silver or an Albino. The eye color at maturity will be the telling factor.

I have just read a few abstracts (a few paragraphs) of genetic information on these mutations, so don't have a lot of information about them. But they do exist and do survive. The one that has a very low survival rate is the Dilute White, most don't make it past 3 days. So, I was trying to warn you.

But if your friend has one from your birds. Chances for this little one making it to maturity just went way way up. [​IMG]

Chick is looking good. Please keep us updated as it grows.

9. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    Congrats! I didn't think captive coturnix would brood. Did you do something differently to give her the chance or did she just do it on her own?

10. ccoomber

Aug 22, 2009
    Redhill, UK
    Quote:Nothing special, i think she did it on her own! I'd been resisting it for a couple of weeks, and just kept moving her out of the inner compartment, but finally gave in and gave her eggs. The only thing i can think of is she's older than my others. Shes about 2.5 at best guess!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by