My Broody quit on Me

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by uncle, Jul 12, 2011.

1. uncle

uncle Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2011
    My broody quit after two solid weeks. I came in from work and she was not on the nest.
    I spotted her in the pig pen and she looked wore out.
    Her comb was very pale and she didn't have a lot of spunk.
    It takes me about an hour to feed and water everything and when I was done, I went to check and she had not returned.
    I grabbed all 13 eggs and put them in the incubator.
    It's been around 100 degrees all day and the eggs were warm, What do you think my chances are?
    Brian

2. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    When was the last time she was on the nest? Im new to hatching but with temps of 100 all day I think there is a good chance they will hatch.

3. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    There is a very good chance the eggs will hatch [​IMG] . I have three piping in the bator now that my broody quit. I have no idea how long she was off the nest, and my eggs were cold, so there is hope.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I'm betting the eggs will hatch. Check the nest site. If she is pale, the nest may be infested with mites--they can deplete a hen's blood supply and kill her or force her to vacate the nest. Extreme heat like we are experiencing can also cause hens to stop brooding.

5. UrbanFarmerGirl

UrbanFarmerGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    Western Washington
    I think your odds are pretty good. Candle in a day or two- if they've been incubated for 14 days already you will see some definite movement if they're still in there.

6. uncle

uncle Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2011
    She was on the nest last night. This was her firs attempt and brooding and I think she just had enough.
    No mites or other pests in the nest.
    It's no problem to incubate, I was just looking forward to a hen raising some chicks around here.
    Brian

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by