My Broody RIR rejects one of her adopted babies

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tacojones, Jul 9, 2016.

1. tacojones

tacojones New Egg

Jul 9, 2016
    Florida
    I have a RIR that has been broody for about 4 weeks so I went to the feed store and brought 2 day old chicks to put under her at night. I did everything from sneaking them in at night. This morning the babies where under her, she even plucked her feathers to keep them warm. This might be where I might've gone wrong...she refused to come out of the coop and I was also afraid the babies wouldn't make it up and down the ramp, so I made a low laying nest with food and water for her and her babies. I moved all three of them with food and water. I've been observing and she keeps rejecting and pecking one of the babies. On occasion, she will peck the other baby too if they both join together. They now seem to be afraid of her. She does sit and let one of them go under her but it seems like the babies are getting more and more afraid of her. Help!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Try putting them back in the original nest.
    You'd be surprised how high of a nest a chick can get in and out of.
    If they're afraid and trying to get away from her, then you may have to brood them artificially.

3. tacojones

tacojones New Egg

Jul 9, 2016
    Florida
    Update: I sectioned off an area for my hen and one baby chick that she's taken in. They seem to be doing fine. I had to remove the rejected baby bc she was causing attention to my other RIRs who aren't fond of the chicks. Should I attempt to sneak the rejected chick in again tonight? any suggestions?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by