My broody silkie

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by emsevers, Dec 2, 2008.

1. emsevers

emsevers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    Hi everyone. I have a question about my broody silkie. I am planning on getting some fertile eggs in the next few days for her to hatch but I've never done this before. I am wondering if I should prepare a separate area for her or if I should leave her in the nesting box that she is currently trying to sit in. I was also wondering how many eggs she can handle because I don't want to ask for too many. Any advice or information would be great. Thanks in advance.

2. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    If your nesting box is on the ground, you can let her stay there. If not, it's best to get her situated in a place on the ground in the coop before she starts brooding the eggs. Hope you get them soon. All hens are different but I had one that would get up on day 21 - period. Then again, I've had others that sat for 2 months!! How many other chickens do you have? Are you sure you want to deal with this in the cold weather? I'd worry myself sick. LOL

ETA: I wouldn't give her more than 4 eggs since it's her first time and yours, too. Maybe they won't all hatch but, if they do, 4 is where I'd draw the line. JMHO

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  3. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    Hey! I would move her down to a quiet spot on the floor as soon as you get the eggs. She may try to leave and go back to the nest. Just keep watching her that first day. I have blocked the nest with a window screen before. Once she knows she can't get back to her old spot, she'll hopefully stay there. Leave food and water near her too.

What I have done in the past is get 2-3 practice eggs, like out of the fridge, let them warm up a bit. Take them out to see if she'll sit on them on her new "floor" nest. If she does, take them away after 6-8 hours and give her the REAL EGGS you plan to hatch. Boil and eat the practice eggs. This way you already know she'll stay on the new nest.

I have had 8 eggs maximum under my silkie. If I hatch in winter it's only 6 eggs max to make sure she covers them completely.

Let me know what happens!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by