My broody smothered her day old chicks

txchickie

Songster
11 Years
Nov 15, 2008
Texas
sad.png
I noticed eggshells kicked out of the nest, so I went in and lifted her up and thought, hmm....wierd, no chicks. So I took her OUT of the nest to pick out the rest of the shells (still thinking how wierd it was) only to find 5 totally flattened, dried, and fluffy baby chicks in among the shells and few remaining eggs
barnie.gif
It's dark where she is so I couldn't really see well.

What the heck? I took out the dead chicks and shells and have checked like every hour (got up every 3 hours last night) just waiting for the others to pip out and I plan on taking them. Is she just a bad mom? She's not very old and is a first time mom.

Poor little chickies. They were going to be frizzled japanese and polish bantams
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png

Not really sure what to tell you except that similar things have occurred here. Does seem strange that it happened to all of them. Maybe her concern for the ones that got caught up caused the others demise. She got a little "scoot" room in the nest?

I had a similar experience with all my first time mums. I had 3 die because she was clumsy a few weeks ago. Earlier this year I had one die because it was smothered. Im sorry for your loss, but I always but early deaths to first time mums still in the nest down to smothering or weak chicks.
hugs.gif

Oh yes, she has plenty of room. These poor chicks were shoved all the way to the back, up against the back of the box under her. I'd not seen them because I'd pick her up right under the front/side of her breast to peek instead of taking her all the way off. She's a super cooperative little hen, she might puff up a little, but has been great about letting me check under her.

Back
Top Bottom