My Broodys first peep is here!!UPDATE!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gitlost80, Jan 6, 2011.

1. gitlost80

gitlost80 Trigger Pullet

Mar 27, 2009
    Reno/Sparks
    Well here it is! Our first baby is here!The Surrogate is my Austrolorp, the biological mom is a buff cochin and the dad is a blue cochin. I havent seen the whole baby, but it looks black and red. We are waiting to see if her 1 other egg hatches soon. I will keep you all update...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  2. gitlost80

gitlost80 Trigger Pullet

Mar 27, 2009
    Reno/Sparks
    How long should I let the other unhatched egg stay in the nest?

3. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    some chicks take a little longer. Hopefully it is just a slow hatcher. Did the first one hatch on time? With incubators some folks give them til day 24 or 25.
    You could risk a peek (wear chain link gloves)

The baby is adorable and blends in with her surragate mommy.

4. TGarcia

TGarcia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Texas
    awwwww that momma looks just like one of my hens. She has been acting broody....hasn't laid any eggs as of yet though. I thought about putting a few of the eggs I just got there for her but didn't want to take any chances as of yet. so they will all go in the bator.

Cute little chick though......hope the others hatch for you. be sure and post pics.

5. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    So cute!! My first hatched on a Friday and the last on Sunday. By Monday afternoon the one that was left she ate!! SO.. Not sure how long to tell you to wait!!

Hope your other one comes soon!!

6. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I've had last eggs hatch up to 24 hours after the first one did...just give her time. I'm assuming you candled it and it has been good so far??

7. gitlost80

gitlost80 Trigger Pullet

Mar 27, 2009
    Reno/Sparks
    Well baby number 2 arrived sometime last night,and even though they have the same parents(Buff mom and Blue dad)they are very different in color. I am so excited that both of her first babies hatched! Here are updated pictures of the first born, and the new baby.Enjoy!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Awww, how adorable! [​IMG] Hens are such wonderful mothers. You will have so much fun watching her raise her chicks.

9. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Aaaww!! They're so adorable!! Congrats!

10. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Beautiful!

Mom will generally get off the nest about day 3 after the first egg hatches.

Be sure and offer her food and water now - make sure the chicks cannot get in water to drown - close to mom so she does not have to get off the nest. Mom will call the chicks to eat and drink.

I love the blues/buff crosses. I do not have a blue roo, but my splash (in the blue color range) over my buff gives me some lovely looking blue/buff/red colored chicks.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by