My brother in law just threw everything up in the air

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by PaulaSB12, Feb 14, 2012.

1. PaulaSB12

PaulaSB12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    I was talking to my brother in law about wanting chickens, and he pointed out that I only need about 3 or 4. Now the original intention to keep chickens on the allotment came about because my mother didn't want them in the garden. That meant the the coop had to be kept secure from preditors (the two legged variety). Now there only me in the house and there is nothing to legally stop me(I have checked) keeping chickens, cockerals could be problematical but I hadn't indended to keep them at all. This would be better as
    a I will be able to see to them no matter what the weather, I went to the allotment yesterday and couldn't get to my plot because of the ice plus letting them in and out of the coop on day shift will just mean going into the garden instead of stopping off on the journey to work.
    b they will be kept in a run on slabs so nothing is going to burrow into it and I will get a couple of nooskies for the rats
    http://www.nooski.com/
    I like the look of a nooski as it will not leave a corpse that could poison one of the local cats and a rat can become imune to poison but they cant get imune to something like this the concrete will be easy to clean as well
    c I work 12 hour shifts but only 184 days a year so for much of the week they will be able to free range in a garden a much bigger area than a 5 metre by 5 metre chicken run

So I am thinking of something like this
    http://www.smithssectionalbuildings.co.uk/products/dell_chicken-house-and-run.php

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  2. PaulaSB12

Dec 6, 2010
    Is the above coop and run a good on or not, as I said a good amount of time will be spent
    outside the run but I would like some opinions on it.

3. Oakieridge

Oakieridge Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2012
    Lincoln Co., OK
    From the looks of it, that pen could be used as a portable chicken tractor as well. I don't see why you couldn't use it for a stationary one though. I would just say if it was going on a concrete base to make sure you anchor it down so nothing can go under it. But it looks like it would house 3-4 hens really well and cozy.

Cathie

4. PaulaSB12

Dec 6, 2010
    Where it is going is going to have a chicken coop and a 3 metre by 3 metre cat pen, my poor girl Queenie so wants to go out but gets scared outdoors (not to mention last time she got out she was sent home with a flee in her ear by another cat and was in a foul mood for about 3 weeks!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by