My Brower Top Hatch incubator lid is Cracking -ALOT

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MrsCountryChick, Mar 29, 2013.

1. MrsCountryChick

MrsCountryChick Songster

Apr 15, 2008
    PA
    My Top Hatch incubator is a little over 4yr old. It is dishwasher safe, although the hottest water I've washed it with is hot tap water...so no drastic temperature changes at all. I stored it inside the manufacturers original box. I opened the box to set up my incubator & seen 4 cracks in the lid, I was *Appalled* -it had no blunt trama to the box at all....I then set the incubator up for preheating overnight. I woke in the morning & was ***DEVASTATED*** to find the top having Numerous cracks. It was room temperature when I set it up, no temperature changes at all. I'm using the correct wattage of bulb. The middle indent in the cover has a cloudy-ness to it also. The manufacturer says they've "never heard of that happening" :-/ ~Really???~ Ugh. :-/ It's not that old & has been cared for properly. Has anyone ever had this happen to their top Hatch Incubator top cover?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  3. MrsCountryChick

MrsCountryChick Songster

Apr 15, 2008
    PA
    I appreciate the info. But I did see the recalled model & it's not my model. There are detailed photos of how to tell your model & mine had the screw on this one 'arm' instead of the way the arm is put on the recalled model. I checked that before I even set it up. As I was bummed seeing the lid cracks straight out of the box, so I went to the manufacturers website to see if there was any info on defective lid recall....sadly no. Although even the recall on the models that caused 3 fires, they're sure to say it's "voluntary"....like they're doing the customers a ~Great~ favor by standing by their dangerous product. I'd think a company would WANT to protect their paying customers from their Dangerous product.

Oddly enough I had only 4 small cracks when I unpacked it from being stored in the manufacturers box. I set it to preheat overnight (with 3 thermometers inside, one has a 'memory' to show the lowest & highest temps). I awoke to these Multiple spidering cracks in the lid.with the internal temperature at 99degrees. The 'memory' on the digital thermometer shows the highest the temperature had gotten was 99degrees. I used these same thermometers & setting on the last time I hatched in the incubator with great results. Gosling hatched on time with not one problem. Such a Crazy oddity! I've looked here & online where there are older Top Hatch incubators (same basic style as mine) & they've drilled thru the lid to add totally different heat/fan settings...with just using the original shell of the incubator. I've never done anything to my Top Hatch, which is why I'm SOOOOO dissapointed. :-( I bought it Brand new too! :-/

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: