My Brown Leghorn Rooster has hit puberty and has lost his mind.

astra-nomical

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 24, 2012
TN
Ok my Leghorn Rooster is now mating with the ladies and I think he has lost his mind. Because he is very young and just starting out with them, which they are very young too. But the problem is now every time my little 7 year old boy goes outside he goes after my child feet first. My husband caught him yesterday and at first wanted to kill and eat him, but he calmed down and we have him separated in a coop. But if he does it again he will be fried chicken, and I really won't to keep him. I raised him and he is soooo beautiful. I cannot have him attacking my child though. Any experienced people with this please give suggestions. Needed badly. Thanks

Last edited:
Some roosters are just so mean! I had a couple who always went after kids and I just pressure canned them yesterday. I did try to teach them a lesson by chasing them around the pen and the yard - at times with a pitchfork! I hope no passerbys saw me - must have looked like a mad woman! But believe me, they deserved it.

Ok my Leghorn Rooster is now mating with the ladies and I think he has lost his mind. Because he is very young and just starting out with them, which they are very young too. But the problem is now every time my little 7 year old boy goes outside he goes after my child feet first. My husband caught him yesterday and at first wanted to kill and eat him, but he calmed down and we have him separated in a coop. But if he does it again he will be fried chicken, and I really won't to keep him. I raised him and he is soooo beautiful. I cannot have him attacking my child though. Any experienced people with this please give suggestions. Needed badly. Thanks
If that ever happens around here with any animal and my Kids, they will not be alive long. If a rooster seriously attacks, shows severe aggression or hurt either my Boy or Girl 10 and 6 yo, I would kill it with my bare hands right there and then no questions asked, they will not get a 2nd chance, no warning shots either..

Last edited:
I had my roo go after me and I ended up shoving/throwing across the coop and he smacked into the wall. He has not gone after me since. Since you guy is just maturing, he's testing his limits and trying to see who the boss is. A good kick or shove may do him good. I've also heard of people picking them up and carrying them around to humiliate them in front of his girls, and some flip them upside down. You can do a simple thread search for aggressive roosters on here. It may be good to try and break him first, especially since he is so young. However, he might just be a bad bird and then he'll become a great stew.

He is at that age, he will do it again, it's the nature of the bird. Roosters and young children are not a good combination, at all. Small children are to young to understand rooster behavior or to be able to interpret an impending attack. And being smaller they are usually who the roosters go after.

I often work with young roosters as they go through that crazy, raging hormone stage and see if they settle down around a year old or so. But I don't have little kids anymore. If I did I wouldn't be keeping a rooster at all.

If you really want to keep him I'd keep him penned up so he cannot get to your kids.

Roosters and small children do not mx. Either keep the rooster penned up away from your son 24/7 or have a chicken dinner. ;)

Flip a young rooster as often as you can.
Catch him, hold him by both feet, look him in the eye as he is upside down and carry him around for a little while as you go about your business.
This cures all cases of pecking feet, kicking shins, jumping, charging, and may more.

The main difference is if you fight with them then they think that one day they might get the upper hand. (At least that's my theory) So when the juice gets in their head a little stronger, or when they are a little older and bigger, they will challenge you again.
Of my 6 roosters not a one of them has pecked my feet more than two times, regardless of age or tesosterone.
I see the oldest who is trying to keep his dominace over the younger ones as they get the super juice go for my feet and swerve away as he remembers being upside down and completly defeated.
They will learn, and fast.

Just remember to keep it consistant when they are young, nothing is forgiven, every aggressive behavior gets the flip.
They will mello out and get better with age.

CAUTION:
The rooster must be flipped by EVERYONE they are agressive tword. My wife doesnt flip, just yells for me to do it and she still get a shoue peck when the roosters are squabbling.
It only works 100% for those who ACTULLY DO THE FLIPING, the rest of the family are not given the same respect by the rooster.

Also contary to popular belief none of them have tried to peck or claw out of a flip. Once you have the feet the worst they do is try to flap and fly to right themselves, they never peck.
Well, no chicken I ever picked up has.

Last edited:
Based on past experience with an aggressive roo, EAT HIM. I had a gorgeous rooster that we named Rooster C and we adored him. Until he hit puberty and the year following. We tried all the remedial remedies and none worked. He finally drew blood on me, that was his last day.

I have to agree, eat him. I tried lots of 'animal behavioural' tricks on my aggressive roo but he continued to attack me. He ended up in the cooking pot. If you're interested, I've got a great recipe for curried rooster...

I have to agree, eat him. I tried lots of 'animal behavioural' tricks on my aggressive roo but he continued to attack me. He ended up in the cooking pot. If you're interested, I've got a great recipe for curried rooster...
I just want the recipe for curried roo.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom