My budgie is eating lava rock??

HappyClucker7

Bantam Queen
7 Years
Apr 28, 2016
New York
I just got my first budgies 2 weeks ago, and the other day I noticed that one in particular likes to chew off and swallow some lava rock off of one of her toys. I'm not quite sure if she chews the pieces before she swallows, or if she swallows the whole piece. I can't seem to find any info online about whether or not it's okay for her to eat the rock. Does anyone here know if it's okay?

@oldhenlikesdogs @ChocolateMouse

Last edited:
Budgies, especially the females can chew through lots of stuff quickly. Generally they just grind stuff up and it falls out of their mouth, and makes a mess everywhere. I would assume they couldn't swallow too big of pieces. Smaller bits should be okay.

If I saw one eating too much of it I would probably not use those types of toys and perches just so I wouldn't have to worry about it.

I'm 100% sure she is eating the pieces, but I agree that they could not possibly be very big.
She only goes to the rock maybe twice a day and is there for about a minute. Do you think that's too much?

If she has been doing it for a bit and she's still with you it's probably okay.

Do you provide any mineral blocks or cuttle bones? Wood for chewing? I would also watch that she isn't wearing down her beak too quickly.

I used to always provide grit, than I was on and off, and now I don't provide it. Since they remove the seed hull I've read they don't need it.

My females have always been terrible about tossing it around and just generally making a mess with everything. Females would usually hollow out a nest for breeding season, but most can't do anything close to that anymore, and some seem to become frustrated. I've had nice females, and those that make me never want another.

I used to always provide grit, than I was on and off, and now I don't provide it. Since they remove the seed hull I've read they don't need it.

My females have always been terrible about tossing it around and just generally making a mess with everything. Females would usually hollow out a nest for breeding season, but most can't do anything close to that anymore, and some seem to become frustrated. I've had nice females, and those that make me never want another.
Yeah, I’ve even read some saying it could harm them!? Which scared me. But then some go against that generally accepted view and say they eat it in the wild or need it or whatever and it won’t kill them like people claim. I’m not convinced they need it but I don’t think it would kill them hah

And that’s understandable 😂🤣 mine have been so loud lately LOL

If she has been doing it for a bit and she's still with you it's probably okay.

Do you provide any mineral blocks or cuttle bones? Wood for chewing? I would also watch that she isn't wearing down her beak too quickly.

I've had her for two weeks, and she started a few days after I got her.
I have a mineral block and a cuttlebone in the cage, but so far neither of my birds have touched them.

Back
Top Bottom