My buff duck is not buff!?!?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by RavenStorm, Feb 25, 2009.

1. RavenStorm

RavenStorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    I ordered a buff orp duckling back in October to keep my rescued Khaki company. Not knowing much about ducks, I figured that the name buff duck means that they will be buff, right? Well now she has gotten all of her feathers, but her coloring is fawn and white like you see on a runner duck, but she has the stocky build and carriage of a bigger duck. Her eyes are blue, beak is yellow with a pink bean and black "freckles", and her feet are bright orange. I'll post s pic as soon as I can, but I just wanted to ask is buff orp ducks come in other color varieties or did I just get a mutt?

2. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

I've never heard of a Buff Orp Duck? I've heard of buff runners & buff ducks...do you have a picture?

3. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    maybe they meant it was going to be stout, well built, muscular...you know that meaning of buff [​IMG]

I know I am of no help!

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

apparently, a buff orpington duck is the same as a buff duck. just 2 different names.

5. RavenStorm

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    Quote:Yeah, sorry about that peoples. In England, in the region they come from (the same place where the chickens come from) they are called Orpingtion Ducks, and here they are just called Buffs, so I sometimes just call her the buff orp duck as I get it mixed up with the chickens.

And as for you Teach, LOL!!!!!! No, you are no help, but it was nice to get a laugh about this.

I'm trying to find some batteries as we speak people and get some pics of her.

6. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

LOL I had to..................

[​IMG]

7. RavenStorm

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    Here she is, please ignore the mess in my back yard lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a good idea of her normal posture and it shows her blue eyes, but the color didn't turn out well:

[​IMG]

8. RavenStorm

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    OMG! [​IMG]

9. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    Harley - Now that is a buff duck!! [​IMG]

10. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    your "buff" def doesn't look like a buff. She does kinda look like my fawn and white runner, but a little more stout. Most runners are not as tall as the pics yu see online. They are squatter than show bird runners.

The coloring on the head is almost saxony looking. weird. I would guess you got a mutt of some sort. where did you get your duckling from?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by