my buff ducks

claier

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 16, 2013
My male is ok but female seems to get wet when having her bath does she need more natural oils in her diet

My male is ok but female seems to get wet when having her bath does she need more natural oils in her diet
How old are they [she] sometimes they may have a problem with their oil gland check it out and make sure it's looking normal does she preen after bathing. Some of my older Muscovy ducks look like they have wet feather at the end of summer before molt too.
welcome-byc.gif

Yes she is preening what dies a normal preening gland look like as i have only had the ducks since june and i got them from a fur and feather auction i dont know how old they are without looking at the paperwork but i would guess maybe a year or two cos she is a good layer and my neighbours have experience in keeping ducks and they said they were young plus the male has just gotten his curly bit of the tail

Yes she is preening what dies a normal preening gland look like as i have only had the ducks since june and i got them from a fur and feather auction i dont know how old they are without looking at the paperwork but i would guess maybe a year or two cos she is a good layer and my neighbours have experience in keeping ducks and they said they were young plus the male has just gotten his curly bit of the tail
oilglandlocation.jpg
sometimes they can get infected or clogged, warm compresses will help if she'll let you hold her

thanks i will check i can hold her but she dont like it much if its not blocked is there something i can give her to replenish her oils if not blocked

Thankyou for your help i checked her oil gland and its clear i guess it may be a moult

i

i have Pikin duck 8 weeks when i but her in the pool her featers let the water run of but the back were her tail is and the oil cland it gets soooo wet she looses her balances so i took a look its red i see no mites even when she comes out the pool she is trying do her preening she falls over what do i do??????? help

Back
Top Bottom