1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My buff is lethargic and unresponsive...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mychickensrock, Nov 29, 2008.

1. mychickensrock

mychickensrock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    I noticed her hanging out under the coop this morning. Each time I went out today (6 or 7 times) she hadn't moved. She's all puffed up. I've been searching the site, but I'm not sure what's up. She's inside right now, wrapped up in a blanket in my DD's arms. Last week, I noticed that she had mites. Ordered and applied DE directly to her and cleaned out the coop. Don't see anymore mites. She's skinny (has been since we got her 2 weeks ago). She had been eating and everything normal until today. She's been coming out of a molt. Her belly is soft, not egg bound, vent is clean and clear, her eyes are clear although her pupils are quite dilated. Her comb is bright red, almost purple. She does have some black spots on her comb. I know those are probably pox. I don't have any of the antibiotic things that i've seen mentioned. She hasn't pooped since I brought her in, so I don't know if it's worms. She doesn't care about food or water. What could it be and what can I do tonight?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Has she laid an egg? She could be laying internally and if that is the case, the symptoms you described mean she isnt long for this world; however, it could be something else. You've only had her two weeks, so you dont know what was happening with her before that. I've had several internal layers and their abdomens are never hard feeling, but they are skin and bones at the end, and unresponsive right before they pass on.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
  3. mychickensrock

Oct 2, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    I'm not sure if she's laying again or not. We have had a few odd eggs lately (shell-less), but we attributed it to one of our younger girls who is just starting to lay. Don't know if they could be hers or not. Is there a way to tell if she's an internal layer?

4. mychickensrock

Oct 2, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    I dipped her beak in water, nothing. I tried to open her beak to give her water, but I can't get it open. Her comb feels very cool. Is there anything I can do?

5. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Do you have some pictures? Would that help us at all?
    Christina

6. mychickensrock

Oct 2, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    I don't know if they'll help, but give me a sec and I'll take some.

7. mychickensrock

Oct 2, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    [​IMG]
    She's just laying here. She is breathing.

[​IMG]
    I don't know if you can tell, but her pupils seem really big. Can you see how reddish purple her comb is?

[​IMG]
    Can you see her breast bone? She's so skinny.

Oh my, she's got kinda crackly breathing now. Is she dying?

8. mychickensrock

Oct 2, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    Buffy just died. She had some crackly breaths then started turning bluish and her eyes opened. [​IMG] The kids and I are so sad.

9. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

[​IMG] so sorry for your loss.

10. mychickensrock

Oct 2, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    Thank you! I don't know what to do with her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by