my buff-orp (1 year old) has her wing broken? update - buff died

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by peacebird, Apr 2, 2009.

1. peacebird

peacebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Virginia
    the "elbow" is close to her body, but the tip of the wing is hanging down, almost touching the ground. She can still "flex" the feathers there, and otherwise appears fine.
    Our jersey giant "hen" turned out to be a roo, and he and our resident rooster, Mario, have been chasing each other around the run and coop. I think she may have been run over at one point. Ideas?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  2. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    Do you think her wing is broken at that joint? It's pretty easy to set and tape in place if you think so. I'd go to the link on chicken anatomy to see how the skeleton should look and tape it in place with cloth tape if it bothers her (or me).

3. peacebird

Apr 12, 2007
    Virginia
    The buff had to be put down this morning. Sometime between 8 pm and 7 am someone managed to snap her spine.... we put her out of her misery... Placed her body at the edge of the woods on the far side of the property - I guess the coyote or buzzards will get a nice meal.

4. caralouise1974

caralouise1974 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh my goodness, how terrible [​IMG]

So sorry for your loss.

5. peacebird

Apr 12, 2007
    Virginia
    thank you.
    We've lost hens before to animals, but this is the first time I've had to put one down....

6. elliemay0305

elliemay0305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    sorry about your hen!! be careful setting stuff out like that. they will get use to it and start coming around at night looking for more!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by