My Buff Orp and GLW chicks at 6 Weeks (pics)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AllChookUp, Jul 31, 2008.

1. AllChookUp

AllChookUp Will Shut Up for Chocolate

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    Well, everyone else does it, so why not?

I just think my chicks are so cute. You can really start to see the markings coming out in the Gold-Laced Wyandottes:

[​IMG]

Here's one a little closer so you can see the GLW feather development:
    [​IMG]

And I believe this one is going to be the rooster. I'm calling him "Hank":
    [​IMG]

He's the only one I've named so far.
    Does anyone know with GLW's whether the roos have white or silver markings instead of the gold markings like the pullets I have? Maybe they slipped in a SLW for my roo instead of a GLW..?

Anyway, all 11 of them are doing fine, getting personalities, and are starting to actually like being around me. What fun.

2. lleighmay

lleighmay Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Your roo looks just like my SLW roo Dexter. I would include a pic of him but have no earthly idea how [​IMG] All your babies are beautiful!

3. AllChookUp

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    lleighymay - So, that kind of confirms my thought that my roo is a SLW. I would have much rather had a GLW roo to match my GLW pullets. I wonder if there's anything I can do with the hatchery that sold them to me...

4. my1stchicks

my1stchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    North FL
    Their looking real good and healthy. [​IMG]

5. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Wow, thank you for posting your pictures. I've got two GLW that people here thought were roos - two have redder combs than the other, but none of them are as developed as what you've shown here, and mine are two weeks older. Hopefully they're all three pullets! That would mean I've only got one roo, Stumpy, one of my Buff Orps, which would make me very happy, only one bird to get rid of!

6. AllChookUp

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    I hope that's the case for you, Ann. Best of luck.
    BTW, you have a really great mix of chickens!

I'm really hoping I'm wrong and my roo is truly a GLW, not a SLW. I can't find any pictures on the 'net to make my case either way.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  7. lleighmay

May 21, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    try this link- it shows both varieties in male and female. Sorry he's not the variety you wanted (I have both GLW and SLW) but on a positive note mine is now 10 wks old and he's a real sweetheart (in a dorky kind of way). Leigh

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Wyand/BRKWyand.html

8. lleighmay

May 21, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Perhaps I figured out how to do this..... Here is Dexter at 8wks. Dorothy my SLW pullet is to his left and Katie my GLW pullet is to her right. Hope all this helps [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. AllChookUp

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    I think that helps, lleighmay. Thank you!!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  10. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Well, it had to happen sometime - pictures of totally ugly, completely un-cute chicks. Well, too bad. Maybe you'll have better luck next time. (Maybe try some Turken chicks - I hear they're cute and photogenic!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by