My Buff Orp girl layed her first egg this morning!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Rex Mom, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Rex Mom

Rex Mom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2009
    Castro Valley,CA
    My buff girl, Rachel is what my nephew named her, had been doing the egg squat the last week. I switched them to the layer feed and oyster shell. Well this morning she did her egg squat thing.. and I pet her.. but instead she layed an egg right there in front of me!! I was shocked.. but picked it up... it was so hot... fresh out of her. She moved on.. like nothing had happened... and I ran in the house to announce to my husband we finally had an egg. What a morning!!!!

2. danielle82

danielle82 A Good Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Tonasket Wa
    Cool! How old is she? I can't wait fro my buff orpingtons to start laying!

3. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    [​IMG] congrats!!! [​IMG]

4. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    Nice!! Congrats!!!

My Buff Orpingons are getting started well also... I have about 7 of mine laying now. They are about 21 weeks

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Jen4

Jen4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    [​IMG] cool

6. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Oh happy day!!!! Congrats on the first egg! One of many to come!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Congratulations!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    You scared the egg outta her! [​IMG]

9. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Congratulations!! [​IMG] I think most of the population would think chicken people crazy at how excited we get over these things...LOL. May you (or she) be blessed with many more...

10. ging3rhoffman

ging3rhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    [​IMG]..isnt that first egg so exciting? Well, let me tell you...so is the 100th egg. That feeling hasnt left me yet. Each time i go to the hen house to get eggs, im grinning like a goon.

What color was the egg? Light Light brown, almost cream color? I have 2 buffs and wonder what color their eggs might be. I did get one light brown/cream color but not sure if it was from one of them. Havent seen another one since.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by