My Buff Orp is growling at me

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by harleyjo, Oct 26, 2010.

1. harleyjo

harleyjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    I went to collect eggs early this afternoon when we got home and I had a Buff Orp around 25 to 30 weeks old who is laying growl at me as she was sitting in a nest box. So I collected eggs in the other 2 boxes next to her and came back to the house. I just went back there and she is still in the same box and growled again as soon as I started to walk near the box. What is going on?

ETA: She has been in the nest box for at least 2 hours and was in it before I came home too.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

You might have a broody!

Congratulations! You can do a search on here for broody hen and get some info. I've never had one.

She wants to set on her eggs.

3. Cackling Hen

Cackling Hen Just Scratching Around

Apr 21, 2009
    Port Angeles Wa
    Sounds like she is broody [​IMG]

4. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    Broody. Do you have a roo? If not you either have to break the brood or get her eggs to sit

5. harleyjo

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    Isn't she a bit young to sit on eggs? Also I have a concern about hatching out chicks in Iowa in Nov. I would think it would be a bit cold for a chick. What happens if I see her off the nest box if this is what is going on, to just take the eggs?

6. harleyjo

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    Yes I have a rooster of some kind.

[​IMG][/img]

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

She is not too young if she's laying. They can go broody anytime after they begin laying. My first ever broody was a 26 week old Buff Orp who had been laying only a month.

8. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    Mine are young too ,to be honest I thought instinct would tell them to wait till spring But not it seems contagious, I have 2 sitting and a 3rd on the way to broody I'm wondering how long after chicks hatch do they start laying again?

9. prancie

prancie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Alabama
    some of mine growl at me even when not broody. if she stays on the nest overnight for 2 or 3 nights then you have a broody. i had a 20-week old go broody and she turned out to be a great momma.

10. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Both of my gals that went broody were young layers, too: Buff Orpington and Welsummer. The BO did it in the hottest time of the summer and the Welsummer has two-week old chicks she's shepherding around now.

But I would wait to see if she stays in the nest overnight for two nights first, before considering her broody.

I also am of the opinion one should let nature take its course and let her be a mommy. But I'm a softie that way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by