1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Buff Orpington Bantam not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FeatherFrenze, Feb 10, 2016.

1. FeatherFrenze

FeatherFrenze New Egg

Jun 29, 2015
    My baby was born first week in June. I have 6 that I got all different breeds. My buff orpington bantam is the only one not laying. Is this common? Should I be worried? Is it possible she may never lay? It's kind of funny as I named her Mama and she is the only one not laying lol.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    It is very unusual for a hen her age not to have started laying yet and at this stage I'm afraid it possible that she may have some issue and never will. But then, I have had one hen that laid her first egg aged 8 months, so fingers crossed yours is just a very late bloomer!

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    There are some breeds that don't start laying until they are older, your hen is around 8 months, my bantam from last year June have just finally started laying in the last week. I think within the next month she will start. Many bantam are slower to begin laying and often wait until the approach of Spring. They follow a more natural way, as they haven't been bred for just egg production, they are mostly bred for their looks and personality.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

My June and July pullets have just started laying the last 2-3 weeks. Is she showing any signs of maturity, such as a redder, larger comb or squatting? If so, my thought is she's just not production bred and is waiting for the days to get a little longer. I'll bet you have eggs from her by Easter.

5. FeatherFrenze

FeatherFrenze New Egg

Jun 29, 2015

She is squatting her comb is small not sure if it's redder. I am trying to add a picture of her but not sure how to do that.

6. FeatherFrenze

FeatherFrenze New Egg

Jun 29, 2015
    Thank you everyone for your input!!

7. FeatherFrenze

FeatherFrenze New Egg

Jun 29, 2015
    [​IMG]

8. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    That is a bantam buff Columbian Brahma, I have one just like her, mine just started laying, yours looks ready too.

9. FeatherFrenze

FeatherFrenze New Egg

Jun 29, 2015
    [​IMG]

Here is a better picture of her.

10. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    She is ready to start laying, my guess is in the next week.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by