1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Buff Orpington chick needs glasses!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Moxiechick, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Moxiechick

Moxiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    Maine
    Today, I decided to give my new chicks (about 4 weeks old) some small mealworms. One chick gobbled them right up with no problems, but the Orpington chick would consistently peck 1/4 inch in front of the mealworm. She would peep in frustration as she kept missing her target. [​IMG] Occasionally she would get one (with my help), and then she would drop it to look at it, and then not be able to pick it up again, despite trying her hardest. I think in the end she managed to eat three.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it something she may grow out of? [​IMG]

I may end up calling her "Magoo"!

2. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

Chickens in general have poor eyesight. Maybe hers is worse than most.

3. KFaye

KFaye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    Aww poor toot. I never noticed that. Will have to watch closer to see. My ducks have no problems. They have such big bills they eat a mouthful each time!

4. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Just a shot in the dark, but take a look at her beak. I've got one roo with a beak that is a little off center and he has a heck of a time picking up food!

5. Moxiechick

Moxiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    Maine
    Quote:I took a look this morning and it didn't seem to be off center, though it was hard to tell exactly, as she was quite squirmy! If it is, it isn't very perceptible. It does look slightly longer in comparison to the other chick's beak though. I wonder if that has anything to do with it. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  6. JerseyHen

JerseyHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Sussex County, NJ
    Quote:[​IMG] Magoo, that is so perfect. I hope she grows out of it though...

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  7. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    We have a chick as you described also, we feel she is part blind in one eye, she runs into things and her balance is not good either, but she eats and drinks just fine, she looks at anything she wants for the longest time and bobs her head back and forth but most of the time she misses, she's our "special needs" chick and would'nt give her up for anything. When she was a few days old, we would find her upside down on her back, and she couldn't right herself and we ended up picking her up, but as you can see, she is growing to be a beautiful bird!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pochahontas is 5 weeks here.

8. GhostRider65

GhostRider65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    NE Wisconsin
    aww she's a sweety........cute cute even with the feathers here and there.
    Do you guys feed live meal worms or dried? I bought a huge tub of dried ones and am waiting to be able to feed them up.My chicks will be a month old tomorrow, born March 23rd. hard to believe they have gotten so big in such a short time, they were so tiny fuzzy little peeps and wham there big already, never realized chicks grow so fast.
    [​IMG] latest pictures from last week.

9. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    I have fed both live and dried, mine tear up the live ones not to interested in the dry right now but hopefully when they get older. I stated feeding them live ones with grit at about 3 weeks and they were so excited, now they get crickets on Friday and it's site to behold.

10. LCEchickens

LCEchickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2011
    I know the original post was from almost a year ago, but my 9 week buff is doing this exact thing! She really has trouble picking up small treats. She pecks just in front or it or just behind it. Sounds just like yours. Her eyes look normal, but I have to assume something is wrong with her eyesight. [​IMG] I was just wondering how your buff is doing now? Our Maggie seems fine otherwise. I am going to be introducing her and a EE that she has been living with to my current flock of 3. I am a little concerned there will be problems. Thanks!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by