My Buff Orpington has blisters

saucedo4

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 20, 2014
Hello, I have two chickens. One is a Rhode Island Red hen that doesn't seem to be having any issues. My other yellow chook is shedding feathers like crazy (not any particular area) and has blisters (some are a little yellow, some just blood) on her face. She hasn't laid in a week (which for months she's consistently laid daily) She isn't getting bitten, if anything shes the feisty one of the pair. Do I need to get her antibiotics? Will it be safe to consume her eggs or meat after shes had antibiotics? These are my first chickens, Ive had them 8 months without any issues...Any advice?

It looks like dry fowl pox, a virus carried by mosquitoes. No treatment is required unless you see the diphtheric or wet form of pox which can appear in the same flock. Also if eyes are affected, I would apply antibiotic ointment (plain Neosporin) and make sure they can see food and water. This usually runs it's course over 3-5 weeks. Here is some info to read:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/avian-pox-how-to-treat-your-chickens-for-avian-pox

In wet fowl pox the yellow patches are what to look for inside the mouth and throat which can cause an airway blockage:

HPIM7368.jpg

Photo by Feathered Wings of BYC

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom