My Buff Orpington has blisters

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by saucedo4, Oct 28, 2014.

1. saucedo4

saucedo4 New Egg

Mar 20, 2014
    Hello, I have two chickens. One is a Rhode Island Red hen that doesn't seem to be having any issues. My other yellow chook is shedding feathers like crazy (not any particular area) and has blisters (some are a little yellow, some just blood) on her face. She hasn't laid in a week (which for months she's consistently laid daily) She isn't getting bitten, if anything shes the feisty one of the pair. Do I need to get her antibiotics? Will it be safe to consume her eggs or meat after shes had antibiotics? These are my first chickens, Ive had them 8 months without any issues...Any advice?[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It looks like dry fowl pox, a virus carried by mosquitoes. No treatment is required unless you see the diphtheric or wet form of pox which can appear in the same flock. Also if eyes are affected, I would apply antibiotic ointment (plain Neosporin) and make sure they can see food and water. This usually runs it's course over 3-5 weeks. Here is some info to read:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/avian-pox-how-to-treat-your-chickens-for-avian-pox

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    In wet fowl pox the yellow patches are what to look for inside the mouth and throat which can cause an airway blockage:

[​IMG]
    Photo by Feathered Wings of BYC

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by