My Buff Orpington is broody, I need her not to be.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mother o' chicks72, Oct 19, 2011.

1. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    Hi! My Buff Orpington is broody and I need to know how to break her broodiness. She has been sitting on the eggs for several days and her comb is getting pale because she rarely gets up to eat/drink. I wanted to get her some babies but my mom says we have to wait till they're closer to stopping laying so we have layers later on so that's outta the question. I brought her food and water next to where she's sitting and she ate and drank a little but not much. any suggestions?

2. hmmcc123

hmmcc123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    University Place, WA
    mother o' chicks72 :

Hi! My Buff Orpington is broody and I need to know how to break her broodiness. She has been sitting on the eggs for several days and her comb is getting pale because she rarely gets up to eat/drink. I wanted to get her some babies but my mom says we have to wait till they're closer to stopping laying so we have layers later on so that's outta the question. I brought her food and water next to where she's sitting and she ate and drank a little but not much. any suggestions?

My BO was recently broody too. I am home alot during the day so everytime I would go out, I just pulled her off the nest and took her outside by the food and water. It took a few day of doing this but she has finally stopped. She isn't laying eggs again yet though. I have a feeling I won't be able to break it as easily next time though.​

3. mother o' chicks72

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    I can't do that as I'm in school most of the day and my mom works. Thanks for the suggestion though.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  5. zzGypsy

zzGypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
  6. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    dont break her...let her brood or ship her to me i will happily stick some call duck eggs under her...

7. mother o' chicks72

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    I think I broke her. I moved her and took away her eggs then let the girls out into the bigger run and she followed them and has so far stayed out there(it's been about 20 minutes) so I'll check on her soon to see. jbourget, no broody for you!

8. mother o' chicks72

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    I did not break her brood [​IMG] I went out and found her back on the nest (even with nothing in it!) I put the hay bale on top of her nest(yes she made her nest on the ground) and when she couldn't find it anymore she went back out into the run.

9. mother o' chicks72

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    just to update, covering her nest worked!she is now up and about and started laying again as of yesterday or today!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by