My buff orpington won't eat or open eyes

tweedle twins

Hatching
Jul 6, 2016
One of my orpingtons(we have two) is just sitting down and refused to move. She's drank a little bit of water but completely ignores her food and when I touched her, I could touch her eyelids without her shiffting.

It started two days ago when I noticed she wasn't moving and her poo was realy runny and white like watered down milk. But she was fairly active then as in her eyes were open and I couldnt touch her bill. But she's got worse however I havnt seen anymore white runny poos.

She's also realy, abnormally light and her crown has become smaller and darker it seems.

I've been looking all over the internet, but I'm not sure what she has as none had the same symptoms. so if anyone has any idea of what she could have, and maybee how to deal with it, if that is possible, it would be much appreciated.

I am not the most experienced with diseases, so I can't really tell you what the cause is, but for now you need to isolate the chicken from the other(s) to prevent it from spreading if it is contagious.

Until someone more experienced chimes in, I would treat for dehydration. Mix up some electrolytes and water give it to the chicken. You can use a straw to hold some water, open the chicken's beak and give it to it. Repeat at least once an hour. If it is hot where you are, you may want to bring the chicken indoors to cool off. This time of year it is very possible it is a heat stroke (at least in the northern hemisphere).

Yes Definatly treat for dehydration. You can get a syringe and rub it on her beak but DO NOT squirt it in her mouth!!!!! If its hot bring her inside.

Can u get a pic of the bird?

Her sister has gone inside but she hasn't moved. We're going to try getting her to drink. Thanks for replying!

So we managed to get her to drink a little using the straw method and she had a whitish very runny poo.

She is completely refusing to eat solid food so does anyone know how to substitute solid food with something liqued?

So we managed to get her to drink a little using the straw method and she had a whitish very runny poo.

She is completely refusing to eat solid food so does anyone know how to substitute solid food with something liqued?
@casportpony
Post a poop picture for her as she will ask if she is available.

Thanks Kathy for all you do.

She is completely refusing to eat solid food so does anyone know how to substitute solid food with something liqui
If she wont eat anything solid get an egg yoke (no whites) whisk it up and add water until it has a watery consistency Feed this to her with a syringe, straw whatever.

Back
Top Bottom