My buffs have become bullys!

bugburd

Hatching
12 Years
Jun 17, 2007
Norwich. uk
hi there, i seem to have a real problem with my Buff Orpingtons, i have 3 which are now around 20 months old. Im pretty sure one is male.
when i first got them they were really freindly and a plesure to have, the mixed well with my rode island red cock (whos been in the family for a year) and my 4 sussex stars.
Untill last month they've bullyed and sadly killed my rode island red cock (who sadly didnt make it after removing him from the group!)
I then noticed them attacking the sussex stars so i removed all 3 buffs from the pen and put them sepate, anyway there now fighting each other and with limited garden space im stuck with what to do..

help and comments despately needed! thanks!

Wow! I have BOs and have no problem with them fighting. It's a natural thing to fight for the "pecking order" but this seems extreme. Is one of them crowing?? By 20 months you should have heard him crow by now. How long have they been mixed? Were the other chickens just introduced recently? If they were just introduced, you need to start slowly.... but if they've been together from the start, i don't know why they would be fighting. Are they crowded? Do they have enough space to get away from each other? Do you free range at all?

now that is puzzling.unless you have 3 cocks.some cocks will fight others to the death.an that seems tobe what yours are doing.

I had 4 of my 15 buffs start that fighting thing. After loosing a couple hens due to pecking. I separated the 4 and all the fighting stopped. Each buff had to be kept in separate cages. Due to space I didn't have room to keep them. I gave one to a friend but it continued pecking. All where culled and now I have a very friendly flock. I have asked this question to many people and some think some just come with a mean gene and can not be stopped. John

Back
Top Bottom