My buffs went from laying 3 a day to 1

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KenyonFam4, Aug 9, 2011.

1. KenyonFam4

KenyonFam4 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2011
    I am so confused...My chickens have been laying for about two weeks now...the buffs were averaging three a day and now I am only getting one a day. They have been laying in their nesting box from day one (I haven't ever found eggs anywhere else). I am worried that they are either laying somewhere where I cant find them, or they are just not laying. Is this common and is there an explanation? I have traced their steps and have gone everywhere they go and havent found any of the other eggs that we are missing out on...

2. KenyonFam4

Apr 11, 2011
    So I just found one of my buffs laying in the bushes...I was so excited that they were all laying in the nesting boxes but now shes moved. Anyone know why they decide to lay in a different spot? Could it be that we need more nesting boxes? We only have two boxes for 7 chickens but only 4 are laying right now...They were doing great in the nesting box until now...Is there any way I can get them all back to laying in the box?

3. Elphaba2140

Elphaba2140 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Illinois
    What kind of Buff is she? Maybe she is getting ready to be a broody hen. Not usual but not out the the possibility from what I have read here.

4. KenyonFam4

Apr 11, 2011
    Quote:They are Buff Orphingtons...I didnt think they did that so young...or so soon after starting to lay. They are about 5 1/2 months old and been laying for just about 2 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by