My Busy day - Santa came early, AND exciting news on ChickNCam...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by arlee453, Dec 23, 2007.

1. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    I'm sooooo tired, but sooooo happy [​IMG]

I got my outdoor cam setup kit last week that I ordered for my Christmas present. After a couple roller coaster days trying to get it setup to broadcast (including XML programming, several emails to tech support, etc...it ISN"T MS Media Broadcast 9 - friendly hardware) I FINALLY got it working.

The down side is that it runs the image across the electrical lines in the house. Since the electricity that runs out by the coop is on a pony panel (different circuit box) than the main house where my PC is, the network wouldn't work when I plugged the camera into the exisitng electrical outlet near the chicken coop.

SO...today I ran an electrical line out through conduit to the chicken run so I can place my outdoor camera out there and it be on the same box (and circuit, for that matter) as the receiver.

I'm cold, dirty and tired, but psyched! I ran out of daylight before I could get the conduit buried, but other than that the line is in, and the new outlets test out OK. Even better, I have an extra box of outdoor electrical wire I can take back for a store credit [​IMG]

I'll be able to run the outdoor view sometimes on the chickNCam and the brooder view the other times. I just had to share my happiness with my BYC crew, since everyone else just laughs that I went to all that trouble JUST for my chickens... [​IMG]

2. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Are you kidding! I love Chick-n-cam, it's great entertainment. I wish I had one. I'd get dirty and mucky too to see what they are up to. My brooder coop is outside and I can't watch them much. I'd like to get one myself. [​IMG]

3. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

awwwwww those little darlings are so precious! I wish I had one of those! Great job!

4. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Whoot!! It works!! I got the outdoor cam setup and plugged into the new outlet I ran this afternoon, and I GOT VIDEO!!

Now I can switch back and forth between the cameras....of course, this outdoor survaillance system allows me to add 5 MORE cameras....

let's see...one in the coop...one from the other angle....

5. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Do those kids ever sleep? Boy are they busy little fuffy butts! I need some!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by