My Butterflies!

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by watchdogps, Sep 14, 2011.

1. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    We just moved here about a month ago, and we have been graced with the most amazing thing!
    MONARCHS!!!
    Not just a few butterflies - our land is a migratory roost stop! According to the landlord, it's never happened before.
    It's truly amazing, everytime I go outside there are butterflies flitting around me. I posted on a website that tracks sightings (The Journey North) of various species, and people can contact you through it. I have had monarch trackers ask if they can come see them. I said yes, and three ladies drove two and a half hours to come today. After spending some time observing and walking all over my property (3 acres), they were just astounded and told me my estimates of 200-300 were WAYYY off and there is more like 1500-2000 here!!
    This is so cool. I will miss them when they leave.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ChicksterJo

ChicksterJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Grounded on Earth
    [​IMG]
    That is so cool. Thanks for sharing the pics! I don't see many monarchs around here. [​IMG]

3. theron

theron Theron's Fowl Farm

Nov 15, 2009
    Midland, MI
    Nice! For our AP Bio class at school, we had to raise monarch and tag them to see if they will make it south. I wonder if one of the ones we raised is in there. Did any of them have a white sticker on their wing?

4. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    That is so cool. [​IMG]

5. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

This is so neat, can't wait to show DD pics in the am.. She's gonna love it!!! She told me today, "Did you know the monarcs wing s are poisions to a crow?" Not too sure if this is accurate but her teacher told her that... I"m hoping it is right...

Ok I"m googling now lol

6. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Wow. Just wow. [​IMG]

7. Balefire

Balefire Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Orwigsburg PA
    WOW [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

Yup googled it, her teachers teaching her right [​IMG]

Love, Love , LOve the pics.. Thank-you for posting

9. Athenzchick

Athenzchick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2010
    Athens Ohio
    I love Monarchs, I have a big stand of milkweed and we try to raise a few caterpillars every year on the counter. It's just so awesome to watch. You should check out this website www.monarchwatch.org , I just got the Monarch waystation kit and will be planting it next year. Thanks for sharing!

10. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    How exciting!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by