My Button Eggs Were Due Two Days Ago! Still Haven't Pipped! HELP!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Mrs. Fluffy Puffy, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I have 5 Button Quail eggs in the incubator, and they were due Tuesday it is now Thursday and they still haven't pipped yet! I can hear them pecking inside, but they just won't hatch! How long does it take buttons to hatch? Any Help Would Be Awesome! Thanks!

2. huntercf

huntercf Songster

May 17, 2010
    If you hear them pecking you might check your humidity level. If it is too low (below 50%) the egg shell might be too hard for them to get through. Also, sometimes chicks take a few more days to hatch do to other conditions.

3. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Thanks!
    I have a home made incubator, and this is my first time to ever try it out. For the humitity I just have a pie pan full of water. How to I increase the the humitity? Thanks

4. huntercf

huntercf Songster

May 17, 2010
    I have a little giant and to increase the humidity I have used paper towels and folded them and then soaked them. I change them regulary so they don't grow things.

5. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:So get a paper towl and soak it in warm water and set it in w/ the eggs?

6. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    yes, a paper towel or a sponge/

7. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I got a damp rag and gently washed each egg. I am going to keep doing that. May that'll help.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  8. holachicka

holachicka Songster

Jan 4, 2010
    Folsom, CA
    Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

I got a damp rag and gently washed each egg. I am going to keep doing that. May that'll help.

I wouldn't, you're letting out humidity, even if your washing the eggs, really, put a wet towel or spounge in there and follow the lockdown rules! [​IMG] I know it's hard to keep out of the bator, but I opened mine way too many times and lost a lot of babies because of it... good luck! [​IMG]

9. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I have to open the incubator because I have other eggs in there that Have to be turned! [​IMG]

10. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

I have to open the incubator because I have other eggs in there that Have to be turned! [​IMG]

Sadly hun this may be why they arent pipping... Each time you open the bator you are letting the humidity out and possibly shrink wrapping the buttons a lil at a time.... This is why you should have a hatcher if you are going to stagger hatches..

Also what day are your other eggs on??? YOu may be able to not turn for a day our two if they are only a few days in or a few days from lockdown.. OHH or better yet just turn your abtor .. Gently angle it enough to slide a small piece of wood under on side with out rolling the eggs everywhere....​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by