My Button Pair have laid their fisrt eggs!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by The Critter Place, Dec 9, 2011.

1. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    I'm so excited! [​IMG]

My pair have laid their first eggs! I found 2 last night. Their basket had gotten moved, and I went to straighten it only to find 2 eggs in it! Boy was I surprised. LoL! The cage is hung high and I have to tippy toe to see in, so that's why they snuck 2 in before I saw them. LOL!

This pair has only been together a little over a month.

Quaillady and ShelleyD , it's the female you helped me to determine the color/ Ivory hen, and the Black faced male I had gotten at the bird show.

I was going to unplug the bator tonight and give it a long rest, but now I guess I'll have to fire it back up! [​IMG] I'll save a few coturnix eggs too.. Can't run it for just a few Button eggs. LOL!

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    They are as addictive as crack!
    I recently started raising the little birds. 8 became 37 and 37 could become 1000 if I'm not careful.

Congrats on your new found eggs and good luck on a new hatch!

4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Joe, at one point this year I had 150 pairs. I narrowed it down to 75 pairs and it's been quite stable. This doesn't include the bachelors waiting to be paired up LOL [​IMG]

5. The Critter Place

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Quote:[​IMG]

I'll agree they are addictive! [​IMG]

So you have them now too. They sure are interesting little birds!

I fell in love with the little birds years ago, and the shop I had seen them in closed, and I've been years looking for them! The little female I have wasn't advertised. I went to get Coturnix, and saw the tiny one in with them! Asked they guy if I could get them too! He only had 2.

Those that do have them around here must be hording them. [​IMG]

Thank you Joe,
    Were hoping they are fertile, I haven't seen alot of courting. But then again, they are fairly timid. I did see them cuddling last night. [​IMG]

Quaillady,
    150! [​IMG] yikes! LOL!

Well. I don't have room for that many, so we'll see what I end up with.
    4 eggs now!

I'll collect for the next few days. I'm getting 7 a day from the Cots. So I'll have a few to put in the bator. A Birthday gift to me.. He He..

Quaillady,
    I'm anxious to see what colors they are after you telling me what you get from your pair!

6. mossflower

mossflower Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2011
    I am anticipating our first buttons in a few weeks. How old are they when the first eggs are laid?[​IMG]

7. The Critter Place

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Quote:It believe it's around 8-10 weeks, but mine took 15. But the pair share a cage with 2 grass keets, so the extra company may have slowed her down a bit. [​IMG]

Good luck with yours and if you can, post pics. Would love to see them!

8. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    [​IMG]

9. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Congratulations! So excited for you! I've been thinking about getting a few button quails.....I keep going back and forth....

Sharon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by