My Button Quails are now laying

Discussion in 'Quail' started by EggHunter_66, Aug 23, 2010.

1. EggHunter_66

EggHunter_66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Box Springs,Georgia
    [​IMG] When I went out to feed/water and tuck in the Buttons for the night I noticed 4 eggs ..... My Buttons have grown up and now are laying:weee
    I just had to post this to get it out of my system!...lol...lol. Thanks for any one who reads it!

2. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Amazing! How old are they?

3. KimberlyJ

KimberlyJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Congratulations!! Are you planning on incubating or having the hen do it? PLEASE don't be too upset if she doesn't sit the whole way thru the first time. Mine didn't...but she made it the second time and hatched 7 adorable "bumble bees with toothpick legs"!!!

4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Awesome! I love the whole process seeing your babies all grown up and laying eggs. It's sad too sniff sniff [​IMG]

Thankfully buttons have a lifespan of 8 years:)

5. EggHunter_66

Aug 4, 2008
    Box Springs,Georgia
    My Buttons are around 9 weeks old now, I think (Princess Poultry if you read this and this age is wrong please let me know)? This is my first time having any...they are interesting and very cute!
    I dont have an incubator so I hope one of the females will sit on them, out of my 11 I think I have atleast 3 girls.
    They live 8 years....awesome! I did not know that [​IMG]
    Here is a picture of them. They live in a large rabbit hutch, it has a total of 4 areas. They are in the "dining room"
    [​IMG]

6. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    They are gorgeous, I see a cinnamon red breasted male, a silver red breasted male, 2 golden pearl females, a red breasted female, whites (which mask other colors really), splash, a normal red breasted male...and I can't seem to see the male that is behind the splash. You also have a pied.

I do suggest putting padding on top of the wire. Wire is really bad for these little birds.

7. EggHunter_66

Aug 4, 2008
    Box Springs,Georgia
    Quote:Thank you for your advice about the padding, what do you recommend? I do put fallen dead leaves on the bottom and I read on another post that someone puts in small twigs/branches where the birds can go hide so I tried that and they love it! These are my first Quail so I will gladly except ANY advice you have to offer :)
    Also thanks for letting me know what I had because I was CLUELESS!!!!
    That picture was taken after I had them a few days, I have now had them atleast a month so they arent so afraid of me now so I do need to take better photos.

Tonight I have a total of 7 eggs [​IMG]

8. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Beautiful Buttons! [​IMG]
    You've got 1 more then I do! I only have 10 .. :rolleyes [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Do your males not fight since they're all in the same pen together?
    Are you gonna incubate their eggs? [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    There is some padding you can purchase at a pet store in the rodent section (where the guinea piggies are). It's a hay-like padding. I have a few in my cages and the birds like to sleep on it at night. I use them in my grow out pens before I pair my buttons up.

10. EggHunter_66

Aug 4, 2008
    Box Springs,Georgia
    Thanks "Ms Fluffy Puffy" [​IMG] I think I lucked out seeing I was able to house them in something that is big and has different rooms because I have yet wittness any fights but if they do start I can block an entrance and seperate the fighting ones and they both will still have one and a half rooms.

Thank you "quailladyofftmyers".....I know just what you are talking about:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by