my button quails wont lay eggs

Discussion in 'Quail' started by quail1234, Aug 6, 2013.

1. quail1234

quail1234 New Egg

Jul 25, 2013
    why wont my button quails lay eggs. when i first bought them they laid to eggs and thats it. i give my quails gamebird feed and plenty of sunlight but no eggs and my male is mating them too but they wont lay. i need help.

2. buttonquailtx

buttonquailtx Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2013
    Texas
    In order to better help you figure this out, there are a few questions.

1. If you bought them as adults, could the seller give you an approximate age?

2.How long have you had them?

3. What kind of set up do you keep them in? Ex: wire floor or bedding, overall size of cage, how many quail, etc...

4. How many hours of daylight do they get?

5. Male to female ratio?

6. Hiding spaces for the hens?

The more info you can provide will help us give you better advice.

3. quail1234

quail1234 New Egg

Jul 25, 2013
    well i didnt ask for the age but ill ask him again when i go buy more of his button quails. i had them for about three weeks now.i put them in a cage the height is 17in, length is 14in, width is 12in. i use wood chips and i have three button quails. They get 13 hours of light. i have two females and one male. i dont have hiding spaces for the hens. thx for the questions.

4. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    Depending on your location it is also getting to be molting time. Also it can take several weeks up to a month for the birds to resume laying after being moved. It is best to keep buttons in pairs if you are trying to mate them for lots of reasons, which always brings up both side to keeping them in pairs vs trios or groups. That's a fight for another day...back to the egg laying. Be sure you are giving them crushed oyster shell as the egg process uses a lot of calcium and this is the best way for them to get enough. So I guess you must be more patient.
    And hopefully the person did not sell you old birds. although they have been known to lay for several years +.
    Good luck.

5. buttonquailtx

buttonquailtx Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2013
    Texas
    If you have only had them for three weeks, then wait another week or two before worrying. It is not unusual for hen to lay for a few day after being moved then quit. Once they get used to the new surroundings they should start up again.

Also give the hens a safe place to lay. I like using overturned wicker baskets with an entry cut into one side.

6. quail1234

quail1234 New Egg

Jul 25, 2013
    thx for replying guys yea ill add oyster shells and ave them nesting boxes and how long does it take them to settle in

7. Markyboy

Markyboy Out Of The Brooder

did your quail lay?

8. debbiefoxy

debbiefoxy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2013
    ashford kent
    any eggs

9. debbiefoxy

debbiefoxy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2013
    ashford kent
    lve been waitin months and months for one egg

10. cgmaster

cgmaster Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2014
    Thatcher,AZ
    mine layed one egg after i got them then a week later decided to go broody if the egg is going to hatch it should be some time this week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by