1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

my calf died today...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Fluffy-Butt-Farms, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Fluffy-Butt-Farms

Fluffy-Butt-Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Central Florida
    why are people so cruel? i bought a calf from a "broker" as i found out later. when we were looking at it (now mind you, we're not cow people) we were told it wasn't sick, it was just cold (16 days old). we took it to the vets, spent 75 on the calf, and 50 on meds to try to save it and after 4 long days, it's dead. when i called the woman and told her it died she said "well, the cold will do that". um, it was in a heated chicken coop. it died of resperatory failure. i guess my only solice, is that for the last 4 days it got more love and attention then it could ever get in the 16 days before i had it. i hate people that are so cold, and obviously lied to make a buck. he's now buried in my yard, and tomorrow i'll make him a cross. [​IMG] guess i just needed to vent.

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

[​IMG] sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

3. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Aww poor thing-you did what you could to help him. Sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

4. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I am sorry for your loss
    Yes, that calf had a very good life with more love than he would have ever had

5. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    I am so sorry you lost your little calf. [​IMG] They may have known that he was not really well. Even if some sayy, it's 'just' livestock, they all deserve to be treated decently.....You tried your best. I know it does not make it better. It just makes it harder that the people that sold him seem so uncaring.

6. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    I'm sorry for your loss..
    If you want another hit up the local daries..Sometimes they give bull calves away..Or let them die in the fields..a shame.

7. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    UGH!! I have been through this with my first little goat as well! SOO sorry! People can be big jerks!! [​IMG]

8. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Poor little thing, I'm very sorry you lost the little calf. And yes, some people are just so cold! [​IMG] [​IMG] You are right, at least he got more love, than if he'd have stayed there. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    So sorry for your loss. [​IMG] That is terrible that they knowingly sold you a sick calf. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Poor thing. I'm glad you had him for a little bit so he could have some warmth, love, and good food for the first time in his life. [​IMG]

Shelly

10. 25bengood2me

25bengood2me Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2009
    Ohio ~ Mid-Ohio Valley
    I am so sorry for your loss .
    "Human beings are the superior species?!"
    My best friend had two Black Angus calve last Jan during snow & ice storms! They calves are strong boys, steers. They never spent a moment in any heated space.
    That lip about "Oh, he was cold." You KNOW that is bunk. That person was a schmuck, not worth a buck.
    Again, my sympathy about the calf. You did your best, you are one of God's angels.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by