My call duck laid first egg yesterday. q's on cross breeding

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cherokeechick33, Apr 13, 2009.

1. cherokeechick33

cherokeechick33 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2008
    kenton, Ohio
    My lil' chocolate call duck laid her first egg yesterday and well they broke it. [​IMG]
    it was all rubbery and felt gooey. So the eggs will get harder later on right? [​IMG]
    Well we got her at an auction after we got a wild flying mallard drake and we put them together because it was "Love at First at first Sight" [​IMG]
    she was wigglen and kept trying to get to him when we brought her home that day. So can you cross WFMallards with call ducks? I would love to have some baby ducks running around our farm. lol
    Thanks!!
    -T [​IMG]

2. bradybrady09

bradybrady09 BANNED

Mar 19, 2009
    Vermont
    Everyone is going to be different on this but i cross my mallard drakes with my call females and they have hatched nice babies also i fed my oyster shell just like my chickens because there eggs did that at first and didnt harden on there own.

3. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

I had one call duck hen that laid four or five soft eggs (then a dog got her [​IMG] so I don't know if they would have hardened up).

I would say if one or two are soft, they will get harder - if they don't then go with some oyster shell. Or maybe just offer some oyster shell anyway, since she is starting to lay - it can't hurt and she will either take it or leave it, I assume.

meri

4. cherokeechick33

cherokeechick33 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2008
    kenton, Ohio
    Oh My Gosh you are a life saver!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Thanks so much I will tell my Mother to get some more oyster shells because we just ran out.... I am so relieved that someone answered!!!! lol thanks I can't wait till I get some babies!! this will be me if I get a few -> [​IMG] sitting in front of the bator or broody duck. lol Thanks again!
    ->T

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by