My call ducks think its spring, Drakes are hurting girls heads!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bossynbella, Dec 7, 2008.

1. bossynbella

bossynbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    I have four call ducks 2 boys 2 girls and 1 runner duck-girl
    My drakes are very shall we say "loving" the last few weeks they are trying to get my two girls (who where hatched last march) all the time they have even been going after my banty hens. I noticed that they have been pulling all the feathers off my call ducks heads and today I even saw where there was a little blood. I didn't see the boys (grendle and Joesph) going after them today at all but I am worried. I don't wan to seperate them from the boys if I can help it as they call loudly for their boys when they can't get to them. Will they be okay? has anyone else noticed there ducks doing this? The two little hens have started laying as well. So is daisy the runner duck. I thought they where only suppose to lay in the spring, it is deff. not spring here! we have had snow almost every day and its freezing cold!

Any ideas as to what i should do if anything?
    Thanks
    Melissa

2. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    If you see blood, you need to separate the drakes. You only need one for the number of ducks you have.

I noticed my snowy call drake attempting to "date" a scovy today. LOL

3. bossynbella

bossynbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    I heard that for breeding in the spring I would need to seperate my call ducks one to one because of low fertility in call drakes.
    We will set up a seperate pen for the two girls tomarrow, no one messes with big ol' daisy.
    Yesterday when we locked up the goats we found one of our ducks in there probably trying to get away from all the ruckas, The goats didn't look happy about it though so we put her back with the others.

Thanks
    Melissa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by