My Camcorder broke

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Frosty, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    I have an older camcorder and apparently the CCD went out so no picture in the LCD when trying to record, and it records sound only. And of course I discovered this the night before I wanted to use it. I searched on line and found that this was one of the models recalled for that problem, but the last date to get it fixed for free was in Oct 2007. Now they want $190 to fix it. It would possibly be more cost effective to get a new one, until you add in the cost for a new computer too since mine is old and can't support a new camera (my computer is 2001 or 2002). [​IMG]

I sent them an email, now to see what they are going to do about it (if anything). How they handle this determines if I ever get any of their products again.

2. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Is the computer a laptop or desktop? USB ports on either? If it is a desktop and it has free PCI slots you can add USB/FIREWIRE cards for cheap (shipping might be more than card). 720x480 cams are also very cheap.

Still using an old (1999) Sony Hi8/DV, on occasion (mostly trans./convert old Hi8 analog tapes to MPEG2 files).

Good luck with customer service!

3. Frosty

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    It's a desktop, my son tells me that the processor won't support the newer cameras. This is an old Sony, can do tapes or memory stick. Apparently they had some bad CCDs that went into some of them for a while. I really would prefer to keep this camera, hoping they will work with me. Apart from DS playing with it, I don't think we ever actually used it. And now that I want to use it... we have a pup in puppy training classes and I wanted to record the sessions to review at home. Now to do that I only have a digital camera which doesn't take the best videos but I guess better than nothing. [​IMG]

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If it'll cost that much to fix... I'd just go and get an HD flip cam with 8gb memory. Believe that gives you 4 hours of record time, is in HD, and only costs like 140.

5. Frosty

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    Quote:I looked at some of the newer cameras... DS informed me that they won't work with the processor in my computer. He keeps trying to tell me that I need a new computer. This one works for what I use it for, don't see a point in replacing it. I have more important things to spend money on, like... ummm... heat in my house, food for the critters... (sigh...)

6. ivan3

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Well, I only have a couple bloody hundred hours of Hi8 (taken over a decade) to convert so I hang on to the Sony - someday I'll finish [​IMG]

Processor's on the stacked desktops are Intel 3.2Ghz P4's 7200RPM drives, NVIDIA 7800 AGP vid cards. Can playback 1920x1080 HD vid from the Nikon P100 (hybrid point and shoot) at full speed once it is saved. It is only jerky if I try to Play it off camera through software in real time - if I write-ahead cache on hard drive first, no problem. Once the stuff is recorded there isn't an issue (mostly burning off to DVD - until costs for the latest and greatest plummet - not an early adopter any more).

Even an old Intel P3 machine would do the job of recording/encoding/writing to DVD. Just couldn't use the machine to play back in real time at max resolution (could capture stills, play at lower res. depending on the software you'd be using).

ED: forgot, motherboards in machines are Supermicro P4SPA+ 2003/04 (socket 478).

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  7. halfwaynowhere

halfwaynowhere Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    La Puente, CA
    hmm... try looking on craigslist/freecycle for an older camcorder, then? its likely someone has recently upgraded to a newer camera and still has their older one lying around. or check ebay or the likes for a used one. probably cheaper than buying a new camera, cheaper than fixing the old one, and definitely cheaper than buying a new computer!

8. Frosty

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    Quote:As I told DS... What is that in English? [​IMG] I am... technologically challenged. Just any of the cameras I have looked at, he said my computer won't support them. This one takes forever to download a few pictures from my Kodak EasyShare camera. DH and DS keep trying to say that I need a new computer, but I figure that this one still works. I don't need anything super fast because I don't play games on it. It does what I need, just sometimes it's slow doing it. That doesn't bother me, I have other things that I would rather spend the money on. You know, like... CHICKS!!! It's that time of year, I need chicks! [​IMG]

I sent a message to Sony about the camera, they sent me yet another number to call. If something was recalled, why do they give you a deadline to have it repaired for free? It's not like I got a message telling me about the recall, I had to find out about that from somewhere else. The camera has been in storage for years and I never actually used it before. I just feel that if parts are still available, and the problem is something that it has been recalled for, they should fix it. I guess I'll try calling the new number that they gave me and see what they have to say... probably the same as the others that I have talked to, but I won't know if I don't try. If it's the same, I'll reply to their email and tell them that while their people are courteous and are trying to help, telling me that my camera is broke and needs fixed isn't really helpful. I already knew that.

9. ivan3

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Frosty, PM'ed you.

10. Cat Water

Cat Water That Person

Jul 4, 2010
    Mid Coast Maine
    That happened to my old Flip camera, but i know what caused it. My sister sat in from of the pellet stove and sang some stupid little song while filming the fire. It never worked right after that and it ruined all my videos I took before. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by