My Campbell girl has a foamy eye~Looking for someone who has had this happen

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by The Duck Ladie, Aug 18, 2016.

1. The Duck Ladie

The Duck Ladie Duck Addict

Feb 23, 2016
    Hello everybody! I noticed one of my Khaki Campbell hens rubbing one side of her head on her feathers and on the ground. I picked her up and looked at her and she had white foamy bubble in her eye, which I didn't see yesterday. I know this can be due to fighting, or mating, or a be a symptom of Chronic Respiratory Disease. I know from reading from Storey's guide to raising ducks that "However, if foamy eye appears overnight and is not accompanied by unusual nasal discharge and/or other respiratory symptoms such as coughing and wheezing, then it probably is the result of injury or irritant." So I presently think it's due to mating since, 1. There is no fighting in my flock right now. 2. I haven't noticed her have any "unusual nasal discharge and/or other respiratory symptoms. 3. I noticed one of those red spots near her eye that girls get from mating. I'm keeping her away from the other ducks just in case anyway. This is probably also due to the fact that I currently do not have a proper drake to hen ratio. I've been trying to fix that by selling a boy, but I've haven't gotten any offers, so I might have to get more ducks..[​IMG]
    So if anyone has had this problem before, I appreciate any suggestions.

-The Duck Ladie

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I have not had it, but have often read that a few drops of saline solution three or four times a day can nip it in the bud if it's early enough.

There are also medicated drops, and Vetericyn makes an eye gel.

I don't know if a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar per gallon of water in their night water might help clear it up in a couple of days, might be worth a try. That's if she washes her head in the water bucket.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by