My carelessness killed Hannah

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by LuLutoo, Jul 16, 2011.

1. LuLutoo

LuLutoo New Egg

Jun 12, 2011
    I can not believe that I fell asleep and forgot to lock up my girls. Hannah, my totally blind chicken is gone. I have been out there searching bushes etc and found a feather trail. My poor sweet girl. I am going to miss cuddling her. It only takes one slip up...
    [​IMG]

2. shellyga

shellyga Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2010
    Milner
    [​IMG] I am so sorry .. sending you hugs

Shelly

3. jen5680

jen5680 Southside Silkie Shack

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    [​IMG] sorry for your loss!!
    We all make mistakes so don't beat yourself up to bad.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  4. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    SO sorry!! [​IMG] We all make mistakes! We're only human. I had a pet turkey hen that was the sweetest thing in the world(wanted to sit in everyone's laps and be petted)...she went missing one night(she liked to go off and nest in the brush) and the next morning we found her killed and half eaten. [​IMG] My entire family cried!!! Again, so sorry to hear that!

5. Tylt33

Tylt33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Chico, California
    Human error causes a vast majority of chicken deaths, sadly. My wife and I lost a girl this summer the same way. We awoke to the sound of her death cry. One of the most traumatizing experiences of my life.

6. what's kickin' chicken

what's kickin' chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Missouri
    [​IMG] so sorry

7. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    [​IMG] Awww, I'm so sorry!! With chickens, as with so much else, we live & we learn, and often have to learn the hard way. Certainly Hannah lived longer because of your loving care. She probably never knew what was coming until it was over and had a mercifully quick end.

8. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I think we've all done it. I had forgotten to lock the coop up one night, and as my DH and I were settling into bed he says "did you close the coop?", my response "I'm tired, they'll be okay for one night." My DH decided to climb out of bed and shut the door. As he was closing the up, he noticed something dangling over the door. Then he noticed 3 of my silkies dead on the coop floor. A raccoon had come in and killed my poor silkies, and then was climbing to the roost to get the rest of my birds. I haven't had silkies since. Sorry about your poor girl. I have a half blind cochin who is my feather baby, and go in to a panick when I can't find her. [​IMG]

9. DinosRBirds

DinosRBirds Hunted by Moonlight

Feb 1, 2011
    Lake Huron,MI
    Quote:Do not give up! Follow the feather trail! Make sure she's gone before you give up.

10. DinosRBirds

DinosRBirds Hunted by Moonlight

Feb 1, 2011
    Lake Huron,MI
    [​IMG]:welcome
    Quote:Do not give up! Follow the feather trail! Make sure she's gone before you give up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by