My cat is obsessed with rolling eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Gone-Quackers, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Gone-Quackers

Gone-Quackers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2015
    Des Moines, IA
    My duck eggs are on day of incubation (28 days is hatch day). One egg has been moving and rolling around off and on for almost 2 days. My Siamese cat China spends all of her time on the counter next to the bator watching the eggs through the viewing window. [​IMG]
    So, has anyone else's cat done this and what did they do when the eggs started hatching?

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Be careful that she doesn't push the incubator off of the counter when the chicks start hatching......

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Or open the lid. When hatch day is imminent for my chicks, I have to ban the cat from the room. More than one reader has had issue with a dog, cat, or child interrupting hatch/killing chicklets as hatch date nears.

4. Gone-Quackers

Gone-Quackers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2015
    Des Moines, IA
    Thanks for the FYI. I was thinking I may need to lock her up in the bathroom while I'm at work/asleep over the next few days. I'd hate for her to destroy an expensive incubator not to mention all the ducklings. [​IMG]

However it's pretty darn funny to see a cat who isn't allowed on the kitchen counter sitting on the counter watching the bator. . until she sees me- then she runs away until she thinks I'm gone. [​IMG]

The dogs have no clue why I'm obsessed with a Styrofoam box. [​IMG]And yes, dogs are locked in the bedroom when I'm at work so no access to the bator when I'm not around.

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    An other issue with a styrofoam box particular to MY cat is that he has a foam fettish. He's chewed all the corners off of it. He KNOWS when those egglets are getting ready to hatch. I bet he hears them LONG before I do.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by