My Cat May Have Ruined My Eggs???!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by StephensonC, Nov 28, 2014.

1. StephensonC

StephensonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    So, I'm at the beginning of day 6, and my bator is in the corner of my bedroom. I woke up during the night to find my cat on top of the bator!! I was so horrified, that I yelled at him to get down. When he jumped down, it shook the whole bator, it bumped up against the wall, and most of the eggs rolled from X to O!! (It's one of those cheap styrofoam ones.) All my white eggs had developing embryo's with spider veins, as did some brown eggs that I could see. Not sure about the green and blue. They were developing at a smaller rate, due to my temps being a little low in the first 2 days, but I could still see movement in a few before the cat incident. NOW, I don't think I see any movement when I candle. I'm hoping that they are ok and it's just because it's still early on. What do you think? Could that much of a "jostle" (if that's even a word), damage the eggs? I don't see any cracks, the air sac's are all in tact, but I'm worried about internal damage. I know all I can do is just wait and see, but it makes me so sad!!

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I'm sorry to hear about the mishap. Sometimes a shake or jolt can harm the embryo, depending on the severity, but I have seen eggs survive some bumps and bruises unscathed. All you can do here is wait and check on them again in a day or 3 and see if they are developing as they should. I'll keep my fingers crossed [​IMG]

3. StephensonC

StephensonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    Just to update the thread. They embryo's all seem to be growing and I can see the eyes now. Except for my 2 blue eggs and 1 brown, which I think are clear anyway.

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by