My cat stole 3 wood pigeon eggs and 2 black bird eggs

Ben Theobalds

Hatching
Jun 7, 2020
A couple days ago my cat stole some eggs from nests in trees (I have tried put them back but failed) and now one of the wood pigeons has started pipping about 20 hrs ago and I have no idea how to care for it. Btw I am new to incubating as I have never done it before, therefore don’t have an incubator, but at the moment the 5 eggs are in a shoe box filled with Cotten wool with a lamp shinning on them and also a humidifier
8C8226F3-D901-4BB7-AD3F-1D00C2806FB1.jpeg

A couple days ago my cat stole some eggs from nests in trees (I have tried put them back but failed) and now one of the wood pigeons has started pipping about 20 hrs ago and I have no idea how to care for it. Btw I am new to incubating as I have never done it before, therefore don’t have an incubator, but at the moment the 5 eggs are in a shoe box filled with Cotten wool with a lamp shinning on them and also a humidifier View attachment 2182605
You can ask a moderator to move your post to the Pigeons and Doves forum. Pigeons are not protected but the blackbirds are Federally protected. You are not legally allowed to have the blackbird eggs. It does not matter that you are trying to help. If it was me, I would dispose of the blackbird eggs but you can turn them over to your local game warden or DNR agent.

The Wood Pigeon is a wild species different from the domestic/feral pigeon. Are you certain it is not protected?
I believe it is mainly found in Europe, UK, S. Asia? I can't remember if any variety of wood pigeon are found in N America.
I can't guarantee anything but I believe that pigeons were excluded from the Migratory Bird Act. One reason for that belief is the listing of the Eurasian Collared Dove as an invasive species by many states.

You can ask a moderator to move your post to the Pigeons and Doves forum. Pigeons are not protected but the blackbirds are Federally protected. You are not legally allowed to have the blackbird eggs. It does not matter that you are trying to help. If it was me, I would dispose of the blackbird eggs but you can turn them over to your local game warden or DNR agent.
The Wood Pigeon is a wild species different from the domestic/feral pigeon. Are you certain it is not protected?
I believe it is mainly found in Europe, UK, S. Asia? I can't remember if any variety of wood pigeon are found in N America.

A couple days ago my cat stole some eggs from nests in trees (I have tried put them back but failed) and now one of the wood pigeons has started pipping about 20 hrs ago and I have no idea how to care for it. Btw I am new to incubating as I have never done it before, therefore don’t have an incubator, but at the moment the 5 eggs are in a shoe box filled with Cotten wool with a lamp shinning on them and also a humidifier View attachment 2182605

Your best chance is to get some baby bird formula like Katee Exact, or now there is a squab formula that is even better but I don't know what is available where you live. Put a general location in your profile so you can get best advice. Are you in UK?

https://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f47/the-european-wood-pigeon-45116.html

Last edited:
I assume you're in Europe, so not sure on the laws there.
Do a search for wildlife rehabilitators in your area, they'll be able to care for them properly :)

Back
Top Bottom