My cat was sleeping with my chicks.

RubberChickenLubber

Songster
12 Years
Oct 19, 2007
Newton, NC
We have 9 chicks in a rubbermaid brooder. We brought them im thursday and had been keeping an eye on our 2 cats. My pit had been guarding the chicks and wouldn't let the cats near them. Well, last night my dog came to sleep in our room. Hubby woke me up at 6:30 this morning and said that one of the cats was in the brooder. My first thought was "Oh no, she killed the chicks" (she a great mouser). I asked him about the chicks, and he said that they were all alive and snuggled up with the cat. I wish he had gotten a pic.

Oh my gosh you better be careful! i thought that my dog was protecting my little chicks too and when i turned my back she was useing one as a chew toy. i don't think she ment to kill it and just wanted to play but they are so little and fragile. it was soooooo sad!!

I don't worry about my dog, she's been around chicks for a while. They usually follow her around the yard like she's their momma. Now the cats, I'm still nervous. I'm hoping to only have to keep them in here another day or so. Their momma kept walking out of the coop and leaving them, I'm hoping to be able to reintroduce them when they are a few days older. They just couldn't keep up with her yet. If it doesn't work, they are going into a brooder outside in a few days.

We have a little kitty that snuggles up in the brooder at night! I put the chicks out about 2 weeks ago into the nursery coop and the cat climbed in the brooder that night and then looked up at me like "HEY, where did my warm fuzzy blankets go??"!!!

We had to reinforce our brooder when the cat saw it and went into full hunting mode. He's had his house-roaming privileges revoked until the brooder is no longer in the kitchen. I'm hoping when the chickens are full grown, he'll leave them alone as I really want them to free range.

My dogs have already accepted them and I'm not anticipating any problems from them. Of course, they will never be left alone with the chicks until the chicks are full grown and the two species have proven to me it's safe to do so.

My cat outside sleeps with the chicks and ducks both adults and new hatches. He's protects them keeps them warm, and is a wonderful surrogate. It all depends on the personality of the cat, just like humans, some are killers, some are not.

Back
Top Bottom