1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Cayugas are hatching.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by RoboDuck, Feb 21, 2014.

1. RoboDuck

RoboDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

I have one that is 2 days old now and the second one is 1 day old. 10 eggs to go but none pipping yet. First one is named Poinduxter and is currently napping on me so I can work on the bonding process. Will have to work on more names. Anyone know off the top of their heads how old Cayugas have to be to tell girls from boys?

2. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

I think 4 to 5 weeks when they start quacking or rasping.

3. Finny

Finny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    Female cayugas also may have some white feathers when they get their feathers in. Males don't have any white feathers. Males also get curled tail feathers as well as any other duck breed.

4. RoboDuck

Cool, thanks. Still no more pipping. The wife is starting to get concerned that even though there has been strong movement right up until the due date (today) that some of them are not going to live through the hatching process.

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Prayers for the littles and for you. Glad for the ones that have made it safely.

6. Finny

Finny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    X2

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    X3 and you might want to PM Lacrystol she is awesome at helping a newbie help their duckling hatch if need be. Tell her Miss Lydia sent ya.

8. RoboDuck

Thank You! I will.

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Any update on eggs?

10. RoboDuck

Today is actually the due date so we're not giving up hope but there's no longer movement in any of the eggs and some shells have developed dark spots.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by