My cheap brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Daniel83, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Daniel83

Daniel83 New Egg

Mar 28, 2015
    They started in a dishwasher box so it was easier to keep the heat where they liked it, then they moved into a refrigerator box. One bird started picking at herself and the others joined in with her. Had to seclude her so I got another box and cut holes in both boxes then place hardware cloth to separate. When we got the refrigerator box I got rid of small box and moved single bird into dishwasher box while the rest of them went to big box.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Aww that is so cute they are next to each other!

I just wanted to let you know that it is best to hang your heat lamp so that it will be secure when flying chickens hit it. The boards may be bumped when they fly, and the clamp should not be relied upon. I take metal wire and hang mine at least two ways not including the clamp, and definitely it is good to have some metal fencing between the lamp and the bedding.

So I would cover the whole thing with chicken wire or other metal fencing and make sure the lamp was above that fencing, even if I had to cut the walls down to be shorter, and I would twist some metal wire to secure the lamp. Make sure you are using a ceramic socket lamp (the socket will be ceramic instead of plastic). Then make sure your temps are OK under the lamp. Make sure that the lamp is sufficiently far from flammables.

I hope this helps!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/6233/brooder-thread-post-pics-of-your-brooders/1850#post_8891656
    see post #1859 for an example- they used hardware cloth here

3. ORChickFam

ORChickFam Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    Love your setup! We are doing the same thing with a welder box and another. Plus we used old bunkie slats and made a 2nd floor "VIP area" for the bigger ones to allow for more space.

4. SammileeChickie

SammileeChickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2015
    Southern California
    It's okay if it's cheap it works.! [​IMG]
    But you should put something on top so they don't fly out or hit the light. I did not think they could fly so high but mine did at three weeks.! She was able to fly up almost a foot or two from the brooder on my head.!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by