1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My CHEAP Coop and Hutch!!!**pics**

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Punk-Rock_Chicken, May 12, 2009.

1. Punk-Rock_Chicken

Punk-Rock_Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    High Springs, Florida
    This is the coop I built for around $150.00!!! I used NON-pressure treated landscape timber I picked up at Lowes for $1.97 each! and a 50' roll of 48" chicken wire with 1" holes. 3 sheets of 3/4" plywood. The coop is 3'high, 4'deep and 7' wide. The run measures 7' wide, 8' deep and 6' high. We keep 3 hens, 2 roos and a mallard duck. I have just added automatic waterers and electricity.

This is a shot from the side. This side has the doors. The top door allows access to the nesting boxes, and the one on the bottom lets me access the poo(to shovel out)...
    [​IMG]

Here are 2 shots from 2 different angles....

[​IMG]
    The unpainted wood at the bottom was just temporary. It has been cut to fit and screwed to the posts. We also are building up the ground around the base to add some small shrubs or plants of some kind.(whatever my wife picks out)
    [​IMG]

And here is a shot of the run, notice the garage window is right against the coop, this is where we place a fan for them when it's hot....

[​IMG]

Two residents of "The Poop Coop"(Gracie the duck and Col. Sanders)...

[​IMG]

And here are sum pics of the hutch I built for our Silkies and Cochins. It si 3'x4'x2' and is about 4' tall from the ground...total cost was $78.00, including hardware. This houses our 3 Silky chicks and our 2 Buff Cochins.

[​IMG]

I added a 2" liter tray that slides out to be cleaned. I also built in two 10"x12" nesting boxes and a adjustable roosting pole(a 1" dowel rod) that I haveset about 10" from the bottom and runs the length of the hutch...

[​IMG]

And here are three of the residents of the Chicken Hutch(Zsa Zsa, Eva and Magda)...

[​IMG]

Thanks for checking out my coops. Any suggestions or ideas is appreciated.

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  2. astylishgirl

astylishgirl Animal Lover Supreme

Apr 27, 2009
    Beaumont, Texas
    what is behind the lattice?

Cool coop!

3. chickens3

chickens3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Eau Claire, Michigan
    Well that is a nice coop i dont think it is worth 150 dollers but that is all you lol nice job on the coop.

4. jamieneenah

jamieneenah Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    HI
    It looks nice. After a short time in the weather, the plywood roof is likely to warp and bow. I would screw a few 2x4's to it to hold it flat. Then I would paint it with a couple coats of oil based paint. Zinsser makes paints that would be excellent for this.
    Jamie

5. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    Great "economical" work!

I think you might want to add a slope to the "hutch" roof. This will keep the rain from pooling in the middle of the roof.

Maybe just 2 piece of 2 x 2's or 2 x 4's at the front corners and then fix a piece of roofing material, maybe using some of that corrogated metal--scrap, perhaps (keeping with the 'situation')?

6. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    Nice work!

7. joy

joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2007
    Lancashire England
    Enjoy your coop . Nice job. [​IMG]

8. Malbri

Malbri Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2008
    Bowdoin
    That hutch is really cute, do you have plans for it, or directions how to make it?

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  9. Punk-Rock_Chicken

Apr 11, 2009
    High Springs, Florida
    Quote:Behind the lattice is where all the dropping go when roosting. I have a door on the side that allows me to shovel it out.

10. Punk-Rock_Chicken

Apr 11, 2009
    High Springs, Florida
    Quote:Yeah, I realized that after we watered the lawn, and it did start to bow alittle. We were using some old paint(matched our house) that was left in our garage after our house was built but we ran out. I was planning some tar paper and maybe put a pitch in it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by