My Cheap Recipe. Plus My Mouthwatering Hashbrown Casserole

CoopCrazy

Brooder Boss
10 Years
Mar 3, 2009
Columbus,IN
So ive been collecting recipes from here for a few weeks. Supposed to rain today so thought I would do a lil baking and try some of you alls awesome recipes. Heres a few of mine. These are how I fed me and my adopted boys after getting fired (because of adopting LONG story). I don't know if I would call these recipesor just cheap meal ideas as everything is store bought.

Spanich Chicken and rice

1 package generic spanish rice
1-2 Chicken breasts grilled with spices (ie red pepper, southwest), or boiled diced,sliced, or shredded
1 can drained diced tomatoes

Cook chicken, start cooking rice per package, when you add rice add chicken and tomatoes. Cover and follow directions on package. ( You can do the same thing with Italian flavored rice, my kids devour this stuff) Usually serve with green beans and voila.

Hashbrown Casserole

One package frozen shredded hashbrowns
One 16ox BAg Shredded Cheddar
One Small Container Sour Cream
One can cream of chicken or Mushroom
One to Two pounds Browned Ground Beef or Turkey ( Or for Breakfast Ground Sausage)
One Small/ Med Onion Diced

Preheat oven to 400. Brown meat last few minutes add in your onion to saute. Drain Meat. Line large casserole dish with your meat and onions. In very large mixing bowl mix together sour cream, cream of ?, salt and pepper, add frozen hashbrowns and stir with VERY sturdy spoon. Add in half the cheese while stirring (this keeps casserole together). Spread mix on top of meat. Cover with remaining cheese.
Bake for 30-40 minutes until cheese is bubbly and starting to brown.

This feeds many people and we always have leftovers.. I can't go to a family reunion, birthday, or holiday without someone demanding I bring these. Heck I usually make two.
I love the sausage for making a breakfast casserole and am toying with adding egg just to see what would happen.

Enjoy

Last edited:
Sounds yummy! I will have to try those out. I'm an avid recipe collector and my favorite recipe books are the "Taste of Home" series. Thanks for the new ideas!!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom