My chichen died overnight

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Belinger, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Belinger

Belinger Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2013
    went to let chickens out in the morning they all ran out but one my white leghorn who was on the floor beneath the roosting bars which are only about 8 inches off the ground so the fall didn't kill her she was on her own the day before but was eating and drinking her wattle was bright red but when I found her dead it was very dull she was so stiff it was a shock to find her like that why is it that my chickens do not have a long life with me about 2 years I read that some people's chickens live for years my chickens are free range well fed I clean them out every day so why is this happening when I dig the vegetable plot I give them worms is this good or bad. also they have scraps and I cook them pasta and rice lettuce tomato apples deseeded and they have this treat in the afternoon is this wrong they have Layers - Corn-.Grit. Fresh water all day so what is wrong I have had chicken's for nine years now but it seams like I am always replacing them in all that time my chicken have never had red mite or lice and are regularly wormed

2. sophiejane

sophiejane New Egg

Mar 15, 2017
    I'm so sorry for your loss! :( I've experienced something like this before - the chicken appears healthy and normal and then you suddenly find them dead one morning without any apparent cause.

You mentioned the fact that she was on her own the day before. Was this normal behaviour for her? If not, it most likely was indicating that something was wrong.

This link could help you:
    http://www.raising-happy-chickens.com/sudden-chicken-death.html

3. Belinger

Belinger Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2013
    Thank you for your Reply
    Yes she did seem to keep her distance from the others but was running towards me when I went in with the treats when I picked her up when I found her dead I thought she seamed quite heavy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by