My chick accidentally ate a bug

AdditveChick

In the Brooder
Apr 1, 2023
I’ve taken care of chickens for years, but I’ve recently purchased chicks. They are about 1 week old. When I was cleaning their home, a June Bug had flown in and one of my chicks snagged it. She ate it before I could grab it. I’ve been monitoring her. She’s not “yawning”, and she drank water. I have put some chick grit down to help her digest, but I’m worried. This will be the last time she eats a bug until she gets older. Will she be okay?

I’ve taken care of chickens for years, but I’ve recently purchased chicks. They are about 1 week old. When I was cleaning their home, a June Bug had flown in and one of my chicks snagged it. She ate it before I could grab it. I’ve been monitoring her. She’s not “yawning”, and she drank water. I have put some chick grit down to help her digest, but I’m worried. This will be the last time she eats a bug until she gets older. Will she be okay?
I think so. My 2 day old chick swallowed a whole minnow. A MINNOW. he was fine but like, a MINNOW. He was outside so he got grit, but as longa s theirs grit i think its fine :) hope its ok
Also the reason he got a minnow is cause his mom was eating it and he grabbed it from her, i wouldnt feed a baby that

don't worry, she'll almost certainly be fine. Many birds species feed their young entirely on insects, and there are loads of videos online of parents feeding their chicks improbably large insects - and in nests with no access to grit. I would let them eat any bugs that fly in if they want to - you could think of it as extra protein, and free!

Back
Top Bottom